1784-PCC usage?

flyers

Hi guys,

May I ask what is the purpose of having a 1784-PCC card? It's a PCMCIA card that slot into the notebook.

I know it's use for ControlNet related thingy, but,

1) without 1784-PCC can I still schedule my CNET if I can communicate with the CPU thru serial port?

2) 1784-PCC can only allow me to connect the n/book into the CNET network by plugging into the NAP at the CNB module only? No other way which do not require me to go to the PLC panel locally to use the 1784-PCC to configure the CNET?

Thank you.

The 1784-PCC is a direct connection to the ControlNet network, so it provides the best bandwidth for messaging, scheduling, and analysis of the ControlNet. Some network configurations cannot be loaded via a serial or Ethernet bridged connection through a Logix backplane, but can always be loaded via the 1784-PCC. The 1784-PCC and it's PCI cousin the 1784-PCIC are the only way to load schedules into PLC-5C15 and some other non-Logix ControlNet systems.

Every ControlNet node includes the Network Access Port, so you can plug into the network anywhere you have an I/O drop or other communications interface.

I use my 1784-PCC mostly for ControlNet protocol analysis and performance analysis.

Ken Roach said:
<snip> Some network configurations cannot be loaded via a serial or Ethernet bridged connection through a Logix backplane, but can always be loaded via the 1784-PCC.<snip>

Ken, I have never discovered a configuration I cannot load into a controlnet network through a logix backplane, once I upgraded to RSNetworx for controlnet v7

Could you enlighten me on your statement?

Flyers, I use the 1784-pcc to one great advantage for me. The products I deal with use a considerable amount of 1794-cnbr adapters, distrubuted across the system. I can connect to the NAP on these and do local troubleshooting and calibration.

Hi, I have a job where they want a laptop connected locally and i am looking into teh 1784-pcc to do so. What type of connection is on the 1784-pcc? What cable is needed to connect to the CPU?

The only instance in which you "Connect to the CPU" is when you plug the 1784-PCC (with the included 1784-PCC1 cable) into the Network Access Port (NAP) on a PLC-5C controller.

In all other cases, you are connecting to a bridge or adapter module.

The 1784-PCC card itself is a "PC Card", also called "Type II PCMCIA". The cable between the 1784-PCC and the Network Access Port is included with the card or purchased as a replacement with part number 1784-PCC1. The Network Access Ports are RJ-45 style so the look a lot like Ethernet; try not to plug Ethernet patch cables into these sockets.

Because of low sales volume, changing laptop PC architectures, and changes to the Windows Vista and Windows 7 hardware layers, the PCMCIA and PCI based network cards from A-B will eventually be discontinued in favor of USB devices. The 1784-U2CN module will do everything* a 1784-PCC will.

* The 1784-PCC supports 6200-PLC5 and AI-5 DOS software for ControlNet Phase 1.25 controllers and the ControlNet Network Analyzer. If you use these, you're probably very familiar with ControlNet legacy support from 10+ years ago)

Does this setup with the 1784-PCC, or 1784-U2CN also work with a L35CR which is a CompactLogix Controller?

Yes, the 1784-PCC or 1784-U2CN will work well with the 1769-L32C or -L35CR CompactLogix controllers.

Thankyou for your confirmation. I havent found the Rockwell website too helpful, so getting confirmation of things is always good, although i spoke to a rep from our local supplier of Allen and Bradley and he has said that they have taken the u2cn off the market due to problems. But thankyou for your help