CompactLogix Ethernet Connection

randy

Supporting Member
We recently receive manufacturing equipment that is using the CompactLogix system. My boss was able to purchase the software RSLogix 5000 Version 16. He tried to setup communication through Ethernet by using the IP address that was labeled on the controller. After many attempts he was unable to communicate. We than tried the DF1 cable and by flashing the firmware he was able to go online but very slow with the DF1.

We tried the Ethernet again, but still not successful. We cannot even see the controller with the RSLinks. We call in the original programmer for this unit and with his computer he could see the IP address for the controller and also see the HIM that using the same hub. But he has an older version of the RSLogix 5000 so he was unable to go any further with his laptop. The programmer was unable to setup the Ethernet connection on my boss’s computer. What are we over looking?

Thanks

rmonroe

Did you have a driver set up in Linx for Ethernet/IP ?
If you just used the standard Ethernet driver, you would need to manually enter an IP address into the driver's 'configuration' properties.

Also, what version are you using of RSLinx? The current version is 2.51. An older version might not have the profiles for the CPU.

Hrm... One other thing, if you purchased RSLogix V16, it probably came with other versions of the software, install everything from 11 and up.

Yes we did setup the Linx for Ehternet/IP...I'm sure of the Ver of Linxs. I'm at home, but tomorrow I will check.

I appreciate your response

rmonroe

My boss was able to purchase the software RSLogix 5000 Version 16.
Something is not straight here: RA don't sell ver 16 yet and not shipping it on CD. Current customers can download Ver 16 from the website.

I would not look at Logix yet, your problem is in linx.
What driver you are using?
What is your PC IP and subnet mask?
What is PLC IP and subnet mask?
Try ethernet devices driver because on some computers Ethernet/IP driver blocked by firewall programs.

Make sure that your own computer's network address is in the same range as that of the controller. Assign a static IP which is different than the controller, the HMI and all other devices on the Ethernet network. Choose the net mask to be in the same area. For example:

Controller - 192.168.0.100, Netmask - 255.255.255.0
Your computer - 192.168.0.110, Netmask - 255.255.255.0

As far as the the software my boss was able to obtain I'm not sure were or how he recieved this Ver 16. But soon as I get into work tomorrow I will try some of these suggestions.