Voting for the Siemens STEP7 and Flexible improvement lists.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi. The election for the STEP7 and WinCC Flexible improvement lists is getting closer.

I have the following suggestion for how it shall be done:

1. I will post the final lists on friday March 2.

2. Voting shall be open from Monday March 5 to Friday March 9.

3. Voters shall have 20 "points" that they can freely distribute as they see fit, except one entry in the list can get max 5 points from one voter. Voters dont have to use all 20 points.
I shall check if voters have kept within the limits. I will PM voters if there is a problem with their vote.

4. Apart from 0-5 points, voters can give an entry a "not relevant" vote. This is to allow voters to disagree to that the entry should have been in the list. The resultant list will then say for example
"Entry 2 got 7 points, but 2 voters considered it "not relevant".

5. Questions:
Shall the votes be publicly displayed ?
edit: Only members shall be allowed to vote ?

Feedback to the above will be appreciated.

Last edited:
With "Shall the votes be publicly displayed ?" I consider to just start a "voting" thread where people can put their votes. Then everyone can see the votes as they come in.

Or shall the voting be secret, and then revealed afterwards ?

Or shall voting be secret and only the total result be displayed ?

Hi Jesper

You seem to be getting some good ideas. Why do you need a vote at all? Why not get "big brother" to watch the thread and see all the complaints and suggestions as in the Omron suggestion section elsewhere?

Hope you get some good results from Siemens which ever way you go. It is nice to have a say and see things improve for the customers rather than just have a code writer and internal people decide what everybody else wants.

Hi Bob.

I think that voting is important to have Siemens understand the weight of each entry. It is also nice for all the rest of us to see what other people think. Do people agree or disagree with "my" opinion ?

Anyway, I will do both. I will send a real letter with the list and the result of the vote. and I will point them to that these lists exist.

After having looked at the number of entries in both lists, I have decided that there should be 40 points in the STEP7 list and 20 points in the WinCC Flexible list. This is a better compromise.

Anyway, I take that with the absence of comments people must agree with me, or they dont care. Hmmmm.....

Unless someone has something to add, then it becomes like I suggested before.

Question

JesperMP said:
Anyway, I take that with the absence of comments people must agree with me, or they dont care. Hmmmm.....
Im pretty sure everyone just agrees, seeing as your sugestions seem adequate. Still, I didn't quite understood this one

JesperMP said:
With "Shall the votes be publicly displayed ?" I consider to just start a "voting" thread where people can put their votes. Then everyone can see the votes as they come in.
Are you saying that the poll will display where I spent my points? Although it will be fun and insightfull to see what each one of us "value" more, I'm guessing it'll be messy to display the results. If you don't think that this will be an issue, then go for it. (y)

So I take that as you think it is not a good idea to post votes in the open then.

Personally, I think that as this is a technical and not a political vote, it is not so sensitive.

As you are the only one who has responded so far, the decision will be that people must PM me to vote. I shall then count the votes and finally present it as a total result.
There is still until monday to have it changed to something else. But people must step forward and say something.

JesperMP said:
So I take that as you think it is not a good idea to post votes in the open then.
You misinterpret me. I meant to say that VISUALLY it might be messy to display the results. If you don't thinks this to be an issue then, as stated, go for it :)

JesperMP said:
Personally, I think that as this is a technical and not a political vote, it is not so sensitive.
Clearly we're on the same page here.

From the STEP7 vote thread:
HansAndersen said:
Is there another voting system.wonder.
If you are thinking of the "poll" function that is possible in this forum, then it cannot be used for 2 reasons:
1. There is a maximum which is less than the no of entries in the STEP7 list.
2. You can only choose 1 entry in a poll. That would put us at a dilemma if there are more than 1 improvement that we would like to have implemented.

can one give negative points (after spending all 20 points) to get more ammo? :)
Hmmm..
Too late to change anything now. Maybe for nexts years vote ;)

But if some entries should never have been in the list, it should have been argued BEFORE the vote started.
There is still the possibility to vote "not relevant".

I dont like the idea about negative votes.
A voter could try to rig the vote by giving all other than his favourites negative votes.

Maybe you wanted more points to use ?