RSview Text

mikedba

Just reinstalled RSView 6.1 application, and everything loads, no errors but textbox which indicate status have garble in them, almost like font is missing. I have WinNt 4 Service Pack 3 which is what it had before. I can toggle a button and devices go off/on, but status text is garbage, any ideas? Below is a picture of screen.

rsview.JPG

What's the 'Lunch Button' do? I need one of those!

Do you show any errors in the activity log?

Could these text status messages be referencing "system" tags that may have been wiped out during the re-install?

I restored all application files from only good backup copy we had. How do you check System Tags if they are correct?

doug2 said:
Make sure that the font size is small enough to fit in the text box.
This program has been running for quite awhile. Just copied a backup into run on a newly imaged PC. All other screens have same garble in them.

Fixed

I had to set channels primary comm driver for some reason. Working good now. thanks for the replies.

On the RSView 32 add-ons cd (or what ever it is called) there is a utility that you can run (with the view application closed) that will go out and try to communicate with every tag in the tag database one at a time. It can then give you a list of all tag failures.

This can take awhile (and generate a lot of traffic). So it is normally something I did when the system was not running (of course PLCs have to be powered up and communicating) and then I could start the utility, come back in a few hours and check on it.

I do not remember the name (it may be something like tag check or checker), but maybe someone here can chime in with the name.

Darren

Another potential issue, especially with Windows NT 4.x, is you may not have the proper font files installed. Window's will then use it's best guess to substitute a known (installed) font for one who's metrics aren't known. This can lead to garbled displays.

What font is the application using there, and is it actually installed on Windows?

Also, is the screen the same resolution? or is RSView trying to scale the screen dimensions?

I had to set channels primary comm driver for some reason.
Yes, you usually have to reset the Primary Communications Driver, if the program copy was saved on a different computer (without the exact same comm path to the PLC). On a computer without a valid path to a PLC, the comm driver always defaults to "None Loaded".

It is a scary feelling, the first time you experience this problem, and your RSView program appears to be responding to button presses, but otherwise is dead in the water. However, it is not really communicating with the PLC. Actually nothing is happening because no messages are going to or from the PLC. Usually in this situation I see "Tag Not Found" error messages, because not tags are being read. However if you have a Secondary Communications Driver that is loaded and operating, then some of your tags may actually be working through a different path.

Did you check all the TOPIC in the rslink. Node, DDE, or OPC, setup? Are they pointing to the PLC where text status TAGed to?

As well have you check the "Animation" that attached to the STATUS TEXT ?

Last edited: