Help with ControlNet/PanelView

xflipperx06

I have a 1756-L1 processor in a 10 slot rack. I also have a 1756-CNB/D ControlNet Module. I also have a PanelView 600, I can program the panelview and the PLC processor, however, I am now wanting to use the PV as a operator interface, problem is, I dont know where to start, can someone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks
kh

First you need the software for the PV. If it is a standard PV then Panelbulder 32 or if it is a PV+ 600 then RSView Studio ME.
Also if the PV600 is on controlnet then you will need RSNetworx for Controlnet. Please advise exactly what you have and how you have it setup.
Regards Alan Case

Last edited:
Thank you for your prompt reply. It is a standard PV 600, and I am using Panel Builder 32 to write the program for it. I am using the BNC from the ControlNet card to connect the PV, I also have RSNetworx, but am not sure how I need to configure that. Do I need to add the processor ? CNB card ? PV ? Those are the main details I need, but also when adding a new module under the CNB card in RSLogix 5000, I have a listing for Panel View which has the descripts of 2711 PanelView Operator Terminal, Is this a generic listing or do I need a driver for the PV 600 for RSLogix 5000 ?

thank you,
kh

You can't connect PV directly to CNB. You must have 2 taps, 2 terminators and a piece of coax.

PV does not have to be in I/O configuration if used unscheduled connections.
Your CNET will have no scheduled connections and you can simply upload from the network, enable edits and save (online).
But you must have solid hardware connection first.

Last edited:
I know what terminators are, but what are taps ? This is a PLC and PV that was given to me for hands on learning, the original setup worked, untill I accidently erased the program on the PLC by disconnecting the battery in order to put a new one in.

Ill try to illistrate here

[that didn't work]
Ok, the CNB connects to a coax, double ended BNC, that connections to a "splitter" that snaps on my DIN rail.
On one side of the splitter I have the terminator, on the
other side the coax from the CNB, on the pig tail I have the PV

Am I needing something other than this ?

thanks,
kh

This device called TAP, I beleive you refer to it as a splitter

tap.jpg

You must hae one tap per each device and connect them with coax

other side the coax from the CNB, on the pig tail I have the PV
- wrong, you must have another tap and another terminator
tap2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I understand now, I can pick those up tommorow, once that is done, How do I go about uploading tags to the network ?

How do I go about uploading tags to the network ?
You don't upload tags, your PV will request tags from controller.
Nothing needs to be done in logix, PV will point to the controller.

Technically you don't have to do anything in RSnetworx, but if you want:
File, New, online, Upload from Network, Enable Edits
Set NUT (5ms), SMAX =1, Umax =3 (assuming your nodes 1 and 2).
Media 100 m of coax
Save As, Optimize and Re-write.

Ok, Had a guy bring me the taps and terminator. Can someone walk me through a simlpe field setup that will show the value of timer1 from my PLC program ?

thanks
kh

Unfortunatly I dont, a fire destroyed most of what we had, About all that survived software wise was the rslogix 5000 cd, activation disk, and a few other things, the PB is gone :( and since the company is getting all new racks/pvs (98% of them burned up) I was given this rack along with the Comp, software & license for learning with. I have been playing with it and heres, what Ive gotten.

Changed the CNB node to 2 PV to 3.

Opened PB32, New App, Selected PV600 and ControlNet, accept that.

Then Edit Communications Setup, and enter Node as
Node Name: khprog(name of CNB card), Node Address 2(CNB) and config the node type to the type I have.

Then add a numeric data display, double click it, and choose edit tag, I am using timer2, which of couse is a timer tag in the plc program, then change type to Signed Int/Int, Select the message type as unscheduled, Chooose the node I added in communications setup, and then after trying to download it I get this:<br>
Error (9005) - [Tag: Num Disp Object 10] Address is invalid.
<br>

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
kh

Ok, got a PB CD on Hot-Shot from Dallas, should be here in less than 4 hours, Hoping it has what I need,

thanks