Connecting 1747-AIC to SLC 5/03

Luffe

We have ordered a 1747-AIC to program two SLC 5/03 installed on rotating reactors.

What kind of connectors does the 1747-C11 have? On the SLC 5/03 side I guess it is RJ-45, but in the other end?

Is it possible to extend the cable with a CAT5 cable?
How long is max? We want 15-20m.

The connectors are RJ-45 on the CPU end, and an AMP-style connector on the other end. If you are familiar with the 1747-PIC, it is just like the 1747-C10 cable, only shorter. If you need to connect the AIC's together, use BELDEN 9842 to connect between the removable terminal blocks on the AIC's. If you need to have the AIC 15-20m away from each CPU, I'm not so sure. I have used a 1747-C20 cable, which is only 6.10m (20 feet) long and it has RJ-45 connectors on both ends.

I am pretty new to AB and only help our customer with equipment from an other company some years ago.

1747-C20, wouldn't that be just like a CAT5?
Do I need an external power supply for the AIC then?

All I need is a connection from the PC to the SLC 5/03 so I can program it, it har previously been programed by someone else and the RS232 port is set up for DH485. Therefore we have ordered the 1747-AIC to connect the serial COM port on the PC (desktop PC with COM) to the DH485 on the SLC 5/03.
But since the PLC is located aprox. 15-20m (45-60 feet) and we're using a desktop PC we need a longer cable.

Is it possible to connect the supplied cable (1747-C10 og C11) to the AIC and then extend it with a standard CAT5 cable?

You cannot connect a serial port to the 1747-AIC becuase it does not have a serial connection. To do what you are describing, you need a 1761-NET-AIC, also known as an AIC+.

I just ordered it from the norwegian vendor. I said I needed a connection from PC to SLC 5/03 on the DH485 port.

I called him back and asked specifficly since on the internet it did not seem to connect to the PC, he said that it came with a serial cable with an adapter that connected to the AIC.

Well, I work for an AB distributor, and the product he is describing does not exist in nature. Unless he is selling you a 1747-AIC AND a 1747-PIC or 1747-UIC. Which he probably did to make more money.

Heres a picture ( worth a 1000 words)

AIC.jpg

I guess, from what he said that the PIC is included. And the price was not so frithening.
We'll have to see when the adapter arrives, to bad I'm off site working remotely and can't see it for my self.

But, back to my main question, how can we extend the length of the cable?
Can we just use a CAT5 and a female/female adapter?
Since the Cat5 is straight through all the pins are correctly, the problem I see is if the wires in the CAT5 is to small to power the adapter even thogh I doubt it.