1747 UIC Connecting?

Timeismoney08

Hello All,

I am having difficulties connecting to a SLC 5/03 PLC, using to connect a 1747 UIC USB to DH485 cable.

I don't have the Driver installed on my computer, so when I plug it in, it doesn't recognize it, and device manager lists it under other devices. How do I obtain the driver for the cable? and how do I change it to whatever Com port I want?

I think this is my main issue, but my other question is what driver in linx do I use? DH+, UIC, DF1? and what do I do to configure?

Any help is Very Much appreciated!

Thanks

1747-uic-usb-dh485-USB-to-1747-PIC-PLC-ab-programming-cable-compatible-with-1747-UIC.jpg slc-503-analogico-7-slot-plc_MLM-O-57775215_9390.jpg

And also i forgot to mention,

This is on a Windows 7 32 bit computer. The computer was an XP at one time, then someone installed 7 on here. They might not of have installed all drivers.

thanks

Thanks,

I actually just watched his videos after I wrote this convo.

But, I still have an issue with the cable driver.When it first is plugged in. It never switches to a Com port.

So if its not on a com port, I cant do anything with linx.

thanks[/QUOT

I hope someone has an idea as to where the driver could be found. If not, Im dead in the water.

Not sure if you got it working or not, if not Windows 7 has been good for me by just letting it find the most compatible driver, plug in the cable and update the driver, choose to let your PC search the internet

Hope it helps

Best regards
Mark

Not sure if you got it working or not, if not Windows 7 has been good for me by just letting it find the most compatible driver, plug in the cable and update the driver, choose to let your PC search the internet

Hope it helps

Best regards
Mark

Yea, The drive he linked me to worked perfect. I was online within 10 minutes this morning. And I would have tried that, but I don't have internet connection on the floor. Thanks for the help also.

If you're like me you will want to keep that driver handy as I seem to have to reinstall it every time I go to use that adapter.

Kraken Fan #69

1747-UIC to Logix5555 ControlLogix Connecting

I am totally lost now. I can get the compute to connect with the 1747-UIC but I cant get a connection with the actual controller(Logix5555).

Could someone please help with connectivity?

This is my first PLC project at work, I am an electrician.

Notes:

1. The UIC and the Logix5555 both have a female pin out so I bought a female-to-female adapter.
  2. The green light comes on and the orange light blinks(showing communication?)
  3. I have it in program mode on the controller
Thank you so much for any help you can give me!! Ive tried EVERYTHING...

logix5555.jpg

The 1747-UIC is meant for connecting to an old serial network called Data Highway 485 (DH-485), used by Allen-Bradley SLC-500 controllers.

The ControlLogix 5555 controller is a different family of controller. The serial port is almost certainly configured for DF1 Full Duplex protocol, which the 1747-UIC does not support.

There is a very small chance that the serial port of the 1756-L55 controller is configured for DH485 serial protocol. Unless you have specific documentation that says it has been configured that way, you will not be able to use the 1747-UIC.

To connect to the serial port of a 1756-L55 controller, you need a general purpose USB/RS232 converter or a built-in serial port on your computer. The Forum strongly recommends the Keyspan USA-19HS. You will use the DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx Classic.

Since the controller is also equipped with a 1756-ENBT Ethernet module, it would probably be easier to connect using Ethernet.

Makes sense.

Wow. Thank you for the quick/intelligent response.
So can I use the 1747-UIC’s Ethernet connector over the 1756-ENBT Ethernet module using a switch then?

Or is it completely incompatible?

Notes:

1. The 1747-UIC is NOT the rockwell version, it is the generic black online knock off that has a switch for RS232 and RS 485 both on the DH485

Wow. Thank you for the quick/intelligent response.
So can I use the 1747-UIC’s Ethernet connector over the 1756-ENBT Ethernet module using a switch then?

Or is it completely incompatible?

No, the RJ45 port on the 1747-UIC is NOT an Ethernet port. Its DH485 only.

Last edited: