Wonderware Windowmaker Screen Rez vs App Rez

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to run wonderware windowmaker on a desktop with a higher resolution then the applications resolution? ie, my desktop is 1900x1200 but the app is 800 x 600. Its a real PITA to set my large screen to that rez, and still have a meaningful desktop. Just something that has been bothering me for the last 10 years. :)

Ive tried doing things like changing the desktop rez back after starting window maker, but ive noticed you can really screw up the app doing that if your not careful. Anything else?

matt

so you just run a vm and run ww inside of it then? Seems simple. No problems doing this?

Also, if I can take some time to rant.

WhyTF hasnt wonderware fixed this. Ive been dealing with this since 6.5b, and its really annoying! Are they ignorant? Dont they care? Also, how about saving in older versions or such, or at least letting me install multiple versions on the same machine.</rant>

Thanks.

ps, is it possible in VM to set seperate installs for WW too??

Using a VM will allow seperate installs, for different versions, just at the cost of drive space. And yes, using a VM will let you set the VM screen resolution to match the application, BUT that is still insufficient as far as I care. Limiting WindowMaker's resolution means that you must work full-screen, and not have the menus and toolbars available, or work in a window of windowmaker.

/Agree 100%, this is an incredibly annoying and stupid constraint that WonderWare seems to never want to fix.

Matthias von Zorn said:
so you just run a vm and run ww inside of it then? Seems simple. No problems doing this?

Also, if I can take some time to rant.

WhyTF hasnt wonderware fixed this. Ive been dealing with this since 6.5b, and its really annoying! Are they ignorant? Dont they care? Also, how about saving in older versions or such, or at least letting me install multiple versions on the same machine.</rant>

Thanks.

ps, is it possible in VM to set seperate installs for WW too??

Your project directory should have a file called 'Intouch.ini'

Add the line 'ScaleforResolution=0' to the file and save.

You will still be prompted to 'convert' the application's resolution the next time you open WindowMaker or WindowViewer, however the graphics will remain as-is.

When you're ready to deploy, just open the app on the 800x600 machine and you're good to go.

-Trevor

Great!!! It still seemed to run the conversion, as all the windows flew by, by the screens seem unchanged. Is this how it should have gone? If so, GREAT!!!!

This is the coolest thing to happen to me in years!!!

I mean, I can actualy have the project explorer open for once!

Thanks! You are my hero

PLCS.NET is the best forum on the enitre net!

matt

Excellent tip Trevor.

I was using VMWare anyway for InTouch. Just to keep it out of my registry, I've had issues with it conflicting with other software in the past. But this lets me run that VM session full screen instead of in a window matching the target screen size. It's nice to be able to see the entire screen at once in WindowMaker. It really makes working in WindowMaker easier.

Thank you,

tvey said:
Version 9.5 has a zoom feature that will zoom a graphic up to something like 500%!

And it's wonderful!!! They finally added this -- I've been asking for it since back at v4.0!

Yea? Im still using 9.0 due to the need to provide some version control for customers. Maybe the VM approach will help me with this. I have customers using 7.0,7.11,8.0, and 9.0. So you can see the fun it is to maintain all these versions. Wonderware's answer to me has always been "they should upgrade". Im sure you can imagine what the customer thinks of that. Customer "so, what do I get for my 4000 dollars?" Me, "nothing, but it makes my life easier and gives wonderware a bunch of money.". :)

eg, I had a cutomer upgrade a pc recently. To one that had no parralel ports. So they couldnt get thier keyed version of WW to work. Wonderware wanted 1250 dollars to issue them the same version (7.0) license with the same serial in a keyless version. They purchased a different PC instead. ;)

Sorry, ranting again. heh. Thanks again everyone, plcs.net is the best

Hmmm. I've tried the "ScaleforResolution=0 " thing, but the app still gets changed when the "conversion that really isn't doing anything" takes place. It's most noticeable on text. Does anyone else have this problem or am I once again "the only person we know about that's ever had this problem".

Hmmm. I've tried the "ScaleforResolution=0 " thing, but the app still gets changed when the "conversion that really isn't doing anything" takes place. It's most noticeable on text. Does anyone else have this problem or am I once again "the only person we know about that's ever had this problem".

Even though this is an old thread, it is not invalid by any means!

My experience, and recommendations that we have had, is to not do it. I have add times when doing the same thing, and whilst everything seems to work ok, any cells, or grouped objects don't convert back too well, specifically text items.

VM's are the best option for developing low res apps.

Screen scaling works OK with True Type fonts, but the default text is System font, which does not scale well. Most apps have system font used somewhere because its easy to miss.

Problem with Window Maker 10

At star intouch aplication

the same application is edited in another session.cannot be edted

then closed it self

i enterd to the SMC en get this log

1534 26/11/2010 10:40:32 3820 3836 Info intouch InTouch Application Manager Version 10.1 1412.0130.0000.0000
1535 26/11/2010 10:40:32 3820 3836 Info intouch InTouch Application Manager Version 10.1 1412.0130.0000.0000
1536 26/11/2010 10:40:32 3820 3836 Info intouch Wonderware SSC - Version 7,0,100,1 (3 : 1.1) (2 : 4.1) (3 : 5.0.97)
1537 26/11/2010 10:40:32 3820 3836 Info INTSPT Wonderware SSC - Version 7,0,100,1 (3 : 1.1) (2 : 4.1) (3 : 5.0.97)
1538 26/11/2010 10:40:36 3852 3864 Info PTACC 10.1
1539 26/11/2010 10:40:36 3852 3864 Info WM COMMANDFILE= not found on command line.
1540 26/11/2010 10:40:37 3852 3864 Info WWHEAP WWHEAP Base Address 0x21000000 End Address 0x31000000
1541 26/11/2010 10:40:37 3852 3864 Info WWHEAP WWHEAP Memory Range 256 MB (4096 Maps) Conserve Memory 1

I'd like to get some help this problem drives me crasy

Best Regards.