Wonderware Windowmaker Screen Rez vs App Rez

There's a "secret" file, appedit.lok that the editor makes. Sometimes it stays in place, due to bad exiting of the program or whatever. Delete it and you can edit.

Good old-thread resurrection, BTW!

VM is the way to go!

I too have solved the issue in exactly the same way as theDave2 (except I use VMWare Workstation - NOT free). A HUGE additional advantage is that you can run multiple VMs and therefore have multiple applications open at the same time. On a dual monitor setup this is really handy. Also, if your VMs share a clipboard, you can copy and paste between apps!

I also use vmware and I use a second monitor. set the monitor resolution and drag the vmware into that window. works perfect.

Hmmm. I've tried the "ScaleforResolution=0 " thing, but the app still gets changed when the "conversion that really isn't doing anything" takes place. It's most noticeable on text. Does anyone else have this problem or am I once again "the only person we know about that's ever had this problem".

Since we are piling on this old thread, I use the ScaleForResolution thing all the time. You do not want to allow WW to do a conversion, this can screw things up sometimes. I set my resolution to match application's resolution prior to opening WindowMaker. WindowMaker opens with no conversion. Then, change screen resolution to whatever you want with WindoMaker open. When done editing, be sure to change screen resolution back to application's resolution just prior to closing down WindowMaker. Just remember, when opening or closing WindowMaker screen resolution must match application resolution.

I also use VMs but only for older versions. I keep the latest version installed on my main machine, just makes it faster for editing.

On a similar note, has anyone noticed some text becoming garbled or shrinking for no apparent reason?

Yeah. I have noticed the text becomes garbled and shrinks. That's why I no longer use ScaleForResolution.

It is not caused by ScaleForResolution. In fact, ScaleForResolution prevents it. If you change resolution while WindowMaker is open without setting ScaleForResolution=0, the graphics will get messed up. If you allow WW to perform a conversion, the graphics will get messed up.

Have you seen garbled and shrinking text without doing a conversion or changing screen resolution?

Thanks!! Just stumbled across this as I couldn't open WonderWare because it said it was in use by another computer and deleting the appedit.lok as suggested by tomalbright worked a treat.
Cheers guys

Hello all.....
Can u please provide me the link to download SCADA Software "Wonderware Intouch" link to download full version to work on Window 7.......

Hmmm. I've tried the "ScaleforResolution=0 " thing, but the app still gets changed when the "conversion that really isn't doing anything" takes place. It's most noticeable on text. Does anyone else have this problem or am I once again "the only person we know about that's ever had this problem".
me too, didn't work. Still messed up all my screens.
Why can't you develop in a higher resolution (so you have access to menus, icons, etc ) but deploy to the actual resolution of the target machine?

Since we are piling on this old thread, I use the ScaleForResolution thing all the time. You do not want to allow WW to do a conversion, this can screw things up sometimes. I set my resolution to match application's resolution prior to opening WindowMaker. WindowMaker opens with no conversion. Then, change screen resolution to whatever you want with WindoMaker open. When done editing, be sure to change screen resolution back to application's resolution just prior to closing down WindowMaker. Just remember, when opening or closing WindowMaker screen resolution must match application resolution.

I also use VMs but only for older versions. I keep the latest version installed on my main machine, just makes it faster for editing.

On a similar note, has anyone noticed some text becoming garbled or shrinking for no apparent reason?
nice solution, but what a friggin hassle

So what i get from this thread is that everyone "loves Wonderware" or buys the hype that it is the best thing since the wheel. But in fact we all hate it for all its idiosyncrasies. I have fought this stupid screen res issue for several weeks. I have used several other HMI packages that let you develop on a big screen but deploy to a smaller one. you just set the resolution of the project to whatever your target is instead of letting the software set it based on your development PC.

There is another, less known, cause of text size changing that is not due to resolution changes.

From WonderWare Online Forum:
00032844 -- Text font gets resized smaller after enabling ClearType method to smooth edges of screen fonts (WinXP/2003 Advanced/Effects option). For example, Arial Regular 10 changed to Arial Regular 9. [Actual Results]
Text font gets resized smaller after enabling ClearType method to smooth edges of screen fonts (WinXP/2003 Advanced/Effects option). For example, Arial Regular 10 changed to Arial Regular 9. If you modify then save the window you may not realize that you have now changed the font. [Expected Results]
The ClearType display setting should not cause the font properties to change in an InTouch application. If this is an OS limitation, the issue should be documented. [Repeat Steps]
Repeatable with InTouch 7.11 P07, 8.0 SP2 P03 and 9.0 P01 on WinXP or Win2003. 1. On a WinXP or Win2003 machine, configure the Windows display so ClearType smoothing is NOT enabled: - Right click the desktop, select properties, go to the Appearance tab, click Effects. - Make sure "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts - ClearType" is unchecked. Be sure to Apply the change if you have modified the setting. 2. In WindowMaker, add text to a window. Set the font properties to Arial regular size 10. Close WM saving the window when prompted. 3. Change the display settings so ClearType smoothing is enabled (see step 1) 4. In WindowMaker, open the window and check the properties of the text object. It has changed size 9. 5. Close WindowMaker WITHOUT saving the window. 6. Uncheck "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts - ClearType" in the Windows Display/Advanced/Effects 7. Take a look at the text in WindowMaker - the font size is now 10. Close WM. 8. Enable ClearType - take a look at the font - it's size 9. Close WM this time SAVING the window when prompted. 9. Uncheck font smoothing - take a look at the text object in window, it's size 9. You have to manually change the font back to size 10.

From my own observations, having smooth edges ON does the following to graphics text:
WW_TextSize1.jpg

To prevent this do the following:
This setting must be changed in Windows Display Properties, not in Wonderware.

Go to Windows Display Properties, Appearance Tab, Effects button.
Uncheck smooth edges of screen fonts.
WW_TextSize2.jpg