difference of 1764-L64 from 1756-L63B

The Allen-Bradley series 1764 number refers to the Micrologix 1500 programmable logic controllers. (I find no references to the number 1764-L64). The Micrologix 1500 processors available, according to the user manual, are the 1764-LSP and the 1764-LRP Enhanced with RS-232 port. The Micrologix 1500 is a low-to middle-range PLC in terms of memory and I/O points. The Micrologix 1500 has a maximum 16 Kbytes of memory and only 28 points (16 inputs and 12 outputs) of embedded I/O, but up to 16 additional Compact I/O expansion modules may be added.

The 1756 ControlLogix controller series is a mid-to-high range PLC, and "provides a scalable controller solution that is capable of addressing a large amount of I/O points". The 1756-L63 model has 8196 Kbytes of user memory, 478 Kb of I/O memory, 64 Megabytes of Compact Flash non-volitile memory, and uses 3.6 watts of power.

The ControlLogix controller can be placed into any slot of a ControlLogix I/O chassis and multiple controllers can be installed in the same chassis. Multiple controllers in the same chassis communicate with each other over the backplane (just as controllers can communicate over networks) but operate independently.

Last edited:
I'll presume you're talking about two different models of 1756-series ControlLogix controller.

1756-L63 is a 8 MB ControlLogix CPU
1756-L64 is a 16 MB ControlLogix CPU.

I don't know if the -L64 is released for sale yet, but it is a selectable controller in the current RSLogix 5000 v16 software.

The larger memory controller is for large process control and large alarming systems, but otherwise they are functionally identical.

Rs5000 contrologix is now using this type of processor. but some user are complaining about the stability of this processor compared to 1756-63b. They said that 1756-63b is more stable.any comment

Typographical errors, if not corrected, can cause a lot of confusion and unnecessary work for the people trying to help you.

Unless you can cite the names and companies these users you're talking to are working for and what they mean by "stability", I really can't help you.

1756-L64 is just a large-memory version of the -L63. They are in production and in shipping but I do not have any customers whom I support directly who are using them yet.