Communicating With a SLC 5/04

DUNK

I am back with another communication issue. I have a SLC 5/04 PLC and I am trying to get online with this thing. The things I have done are..

Configured a RS232 DF1 Device,which will auto configure but when I browse with linx it does not show the processor.

Configured a PIC driver, but when I browse with linx does not pick the PLC up.

Configured a slave driver I have the same problem as above.

This SLC does not have an Ethernet port. The only ports it has are the DH+, a programming port, and a 232 port. Its kind of weird that when I configure the 232 driver it completes the auto configure but it dont show it on my linx tree or RSlogix 500 tree.

What the heck am I doing wrong here??

Thanks,
DUNK

If you have the backup file of the program in SLC 5/04

clear the memory & try RS232 DF1 Device driver

may be the port 0 is configured for ASCII communication

Dont clear the memory unless you definately have a backup of the processor program that you are 100% sure is up to date.

If you have a backup program open it up in Logix 500 and see what the comms port is configured for.

If Linx autoconfigs then you should be able to communicate with the slc ? Have you got a PCMK Card ?

I do have that backup. The reason I have this backup is I did get online with this thing before and uploaded it last year. I did pull the program up looked at the channel config settings. Under the Chan.0 System tab my driver is DH485. Under the Chan.0 user tab the driver is ASCII. If what you are saying is true then how could I have gotten online with this thing befor?

DUNK said:
I do have that backup. The reason I have this backup is I did get online with this thing before and uploaded it last year. I did pull the program up looked at the channel config settings. Under the Chan.0 System tab my driver is DH485. Under the Chan.0 user tab the driver is ASCII. If what you are saying is true then how could I have gotten online with this thing befor?

can you post the logix file here?

In Gendral Tab Channel 0 group MODE is selected as system or user?

If it is system then Channel 0 is configured as DH485

If it is user then Channel 0 is configured as Ascii

In the comms dialogs see if user or system is selected then if system is selected and your system tab shows 485 this is how you will need to communicate with the 5/04.

I dont know how you got online before unless you did with 232 and accidently changed the comms to 485 ??

5041.jpg

5042.jpg

I have one question Dave. This PLC has a panlview 600 communicating via the 232 port. Will doing this effect the panelview communication?

DUNK said:
I have one question Dave. This PLC has a panlview 600 communicating via the 232 port. Will doing this effect the panelview communication?

If the PV is using the 232 port and you change the SLC port parameters, it absolutely WILL affect the PV comm.

DUNK said:

It may, whats the panelview part number ?

As was asked earleier is the 5/04 on a DH+ Network ?

Have you got a PCMK Card ?