RSView Studio tag addressing.

Norml

When I've done projects using RSLogix 500, my PV+ tags were addressed as ::[CONTROLLER]B3:0/1 etc.

Is the address structure using RSLogix 5000 the same except for replacing the bit address with a tag name in the controller?

Thanks for any help on this.

Generally, yes. Two things to watch out for, if the Logix tagname doesn't contain a ':' character, you should not have) the '::' prior to the device access name.

If the tagname does have a ':' character (such as resolving a Program scoped tag rather than Controller scoped), then you do need the '::' prior to the device access name.

Thanks for your help. You just solved my problem by mentioning controller scoped tags. All my tags were program scoped and would not be recognized by PV+.

I believe that's actually part of the "whole" OLE/OPC address. If you're networking to a tag-server that's running on a different computer there will be other address pieces between the :s. Kinda like the .s in an IP address. When you're running locally, you can leave those other pieces out, but still have to have field separators.

rPraveenkum said:
PV+ is connected to Ch0 of SLC or logix processor?

I'm using the Ethernet/IP port which is connected to a switch along with the PV+ and the laptop. I created a one button application to turn on a bit in the CompactLogix controller just to keep things simple. As soon as I changed the tag from program scope to controller scope, the button worked.

Program scoped tags can be read, you just need to completely resolve the scope, and then preceed the overall access with '::' again, as the ':' is the program scope resolution operator.

For a program scoped tag:
::[IO_Server]Program:MainProgram.The_Tag_Name