Modicon Micro SOS!

Gaurav

hi all!
I just registered here, but I am a long time student-lurker here.
I have gone through and benefited from the tutorial here, and looked through some of the postings.

I have a deadline on my project 2 days from today. My work required me to control an experimental setup using a Modicon MICro TSX3221..

I have successfully made the ladder, and implemented the control using the PL7 software that comes with the device.

I am stuck with the part where I have to send the value of a variable ( %MW1) to a Linux PC. I found some free source code, but things dont seem to be working.

Can anyone help me write just one little number from the memory of the PLC to the serial port of the PC , preferable without having to implement protocols like ModBus? I can manage the Serial port code from the PC side..all I need is help with the ladder on the PLC side.
I am not looking for frills or even reliability, just one simple proof of concept, that I can pick up one variable from the plC, and show it on my Linux PC.
TIA

Gaurav

First, you do not have a Modicon Micro. You have a Telemecanique Micro (yes they are both made by Schneider Electric).

What type of communication statement have you tried?, What seems to be the problem?

The PL7 software has "wizards" for creating some (i.e. Modbus) communication statements. Open an "Operate Block" (shift F8), chose Communications, select WRITE_VAR, then press the "Details..." button.
The wizard then creates the correct syntax for the communication.

If you are trying to use a serial output (i.e. ASCII) you would select the WRITE_ASYN statement. There is no wizard for this command but the syntax is similar to that of WRITE_VAR. A suggestion is to use the WRITE_VAR wizard to generate the syntax, and then use that structure as you create the WRITE_ASYN.

For detailed communications instructions use PL7 Help, or go to http://www.schneiderautomation.com and search for TLXDSCOMPL74 (the exact file will depend on your software version)