Help with ANALOG OUTPUT CARD

Eugenio

ok i have already my project in RS View Studio ME, the problem is that I have to connect an analog output card to send a measurement of pressure to an analog meter, but when it is connected and added too no one of my analogs inputs works and the values goes to zero (0) and gets frizz in these value

i'm using a SLC-500 5/04
the output cars is: 1746-NO4I

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Have you gone into the IO Configuration section and set up the I/O card properties to match your card? How are you putting the analog data into the card? What is the range of the data?

Have you gone into the IO Configuration section and set up the I/O card properties to match your card?

YES

How are you putting the analog data into the card?

Dont have idea how to...., just created a line in the RS Logix where I send the value using the MOVE function to an output of the card (in this case O:9.0)

What is the range of the data?

at 4mA 107 psi, at 20mA 212 psi

Last edited:
Dont have idea how to...., just created a line in the RS Logix where I send the value using the MOVE function to an output of the card (in this case O:9.0)

The rung is in main routine or subroutine the subroutine is called using JSR?

Depending on how the two cards are configured directly copying hte data may not be adequate. The input, for example, may be scaled to engineering units (4000 = 4 mA and 20000 = 20 mA) and the output card may be scaled to 3277=4 mA and 16384 = 20 mA.

Also, do you get 4 mA out of the card, or 0 mA. If you don't get 4 mA you may have the card configured wrong, or you may not have the 24 VDC power for the loop correctly wired. Different A-B cards are wired differently.

At this point I ususally recommend getting your distributor involved. One of the things that you pay for with A-B hardware is support, so you may as well get your money's worth.

Eugenio said:
but when it is connected and added too no one of my analogs inputs works and the values goes to zero (0) and gets frizz in these value

Eugenio, can you clarify this part for us. Are you saying that when you activate the analog output that the input value goes haywire? If so, maybe there is a wiring issue or config problem with the meter that is pulling down your power supply...

OkiePC said:
Eugenio, can you clarify this part for us. Are you saying that when you activate the analog output that the input value goes haywire? If so, maybe there is a wiring issue or config problem with the meter that is pulling down your power supply...

ok let me explain

mi program has 3 analogs inputs to simulate a change on temperature and 1 to change the pressure of a pump, all off them works fine without the new analog output card (the analog output card was required by the professor last week, because he wan to see the psi value of the pump in a digital meter with analog inputs), when I connect the new output card all the analogs values goes to zero and don't change

one time these happen needs to remove the card and download the program to get everything again working good

Let's see if we're really understanding this right?

Analog inputs to simulate various imaginary process parameters. You want to echo them out of the analog card to external analog meters. Just using the inputs, everything appears to work fine. When you install the output card, things get stupid...

Is that right?

In your first post you said "when it is connected and added too no one of my analogs inputs works and the values goes to zero (0)". Just above you said "when I connect the new output card all the analogs values goes to zero and don't change"

Is it faulting the processor or are the values just going to zero? Which values go to zero, the analog inputs or the outputs? What values are you MOV to O:9.0?

It might help if you'd post your program for some of us to review. As I've followed this, I've found myself confused by your descriptions.

Tu ingles es mejor que mi espanol, pero permitame tratar en espanol... No se si es la lenguaje, pero tengo problemas de comprender tu sistema y tus problemas, amigo. Si puedes darnos una diagrama de tu sistema y tu programa, podemos darte ayuda mejor.

Eugenio said:
the problem persist help

This is not readily diagnosed by remote control! It can be hardware induced, software induced, or both. You have been asked several specific questions that remain unanswered. Repeating a statement of the problem isn't going to guide us in helping you.

Have you asked your professor for assistance? Have you read the manuals appropriate to all of the hardware you are using?

My best guess would be a wiring problem. How are the inputs and outputs wired up? What is the AI card? Are you trying to externally power that AO? Becuase the No4i doesn't need external power. How is your indicator wired up? Its not trying to supply power to the loop, is it?

Using my psychic powers, I'm going to guess you have the AIs wired up as single ended devices, using a single 24V power supply. Which is fine, but when you wired up the AO, you mistakenly put the power supply in that circuit too. Which gives the voltage another easier path to ground, and causes it to bypass all of the AI circuits because electrons are just like people, they take the path of least resistance.

-jeff (am I right? I hope not, I might get a big head)

Last edited:
The easiest way to determine if this is a hardware (internal to the card)/software problem or wiring is to simply put your meter on the inputs and see if you are getting a signal. If you get zero volts, the problem is in the wiring, if you have a signal (0-10vdc?) then you have a problem internal to the card or in your program.