IO tables with cx-programmer

awt

Hi,

I'm currently studying manufacturing engineering, and am trying to use an omron sysmac C200H PLC to control a reasonably simple system. I am using cx-programmer to (try to) program it.

I've spent the last couple of days trying to learn how to use it, and am not having any luck with the IO tables. I cant take it off of the PLC as it "does not contain an IO table" and I cant register it, as whenever I try to my own table its invalid.

I'd like to get this sorted so that I can test it as I go along.

As I mentioned I'm new to this software, and its hopefully something really simple.

Thanks

You need to specifically save memory as a part of the project when you are online to save IR memory for offline viewing. You will have to specifically transfer the memory values from the PLC. There is a toolbar button in the PLC memory window when you are online to do this.

I hope this helps. I'm still learning my way around CX programmer myself.

al051507a.JPG

Last edited:
The C200H does not have an IO Table per se. Addressing is determined by slot location in the backplane.
What modules are mounted to the backplane?
Slot 0 (zero) will be all the way to the left, cpu on the right.
If you can post module part numbers and location, we can advise you of addressing.

I would also advise you locate the Programming and Operation manuals for the C200H. If you can not locate them, I can post a link.

Hope this will help.

Thanks for such fast responses! =).

This issue is (as gtsuport managed to work out from my garbled post), that I dont really know what on the PC corresponds to what on the PLC.

Alaric - that'll be really useful.... when I get there :)

The modules are:

0 - empty
1 - empty
2 - ID212, input
3 - ID212, input
4 - ASC02, ASCII unit (not sure what this is)
5 - empty
6 - empty
7 - OC225, output
8 - OC225, output
9 - LK201, host link unit.

It would be great if you could link the manuals.

Am I right in thinking that certain IR memory slots will correspond to certain inputs ant outputs, and that their position on the PLC itself determines which is which? I tried setting some ouputs to high but didnt see any lights come on, probably becuase I dont know which ones to set high.

thanks again

The modules are:

0 - empty
1 - empty
2 - ID212, input
3 - ID212, input
4 - ASC02, ASCII unit (not sure what this is)
5 - empty
6 - empty
7 - OC225, output
8 - OC225, output
9 - LK201, host link unit.

First ID212 will be channel 002 (addresses 002.00 - 002.15)
Second ID212 will be channel 003 (addresses 003.00 - 003.15)
ASC02 (ASCII/BASIC module) address based on rotary switch setting on front of module.
First OC225 is channel 007 (addresses 007.00 - 007.15)
Second OC225 channel 008 (addresses 008.00 - 008.15)
LK201 is the host link module for comm to PC.

C200H Op (Programming) Manual at MrPLC.com
C200H Installation (Hardware) Manual at MrPLC.com

Hope this will help.

Great, I've looked over the manuals and they look pretty comprehensive, and will make good bedtime reading =).

Though I'm still having difficulty communicating with the PLC, I cant seem to be able to light the output signal lights. Even when I try to set them high in cx-programmer.

If you wouldnt mind humouring me and explaining (or linking to a guide of) how to take and input from, say 002.01, and give the same at 007.01, it would be very helpful. The ladder logic itself is ok, its just dealing with the PLC. If this is longwinded dont worry I have those manuals to look at =/.

awt

First, can you connect to the plc?
What version of CX-Programmer do you have?
If you can not connect, we need to know the settings of the
rotary switches on the front of the LK201.
Is the "RUN" led illuminated on the cpu?

Do you have any plc programming experience?

Let me know how this goes, then we can continue.

gtsuport said:
First, can you connect to the plc?
What version of CX-Programmer do you have?
If you can not connect, we need to know the settings of the
rotary switches on the front of the LK201.
Is the "RUN" led illuminated on the cpu?

Do you have any plc programming experience?

Let me know how this goes, then we can continue.

I can connect, (though I only really know this as if I turn the PLC off I get an on screen warning). If it helps anyway, the rotary switches read:
SW1 - 0
SW2 - 0
SW3 - 5
SW4 - 2

I'm running version 6.1 of cx programmer.

Run is illuminated, XMT and RVC are flashing.

I have no PLC programming experiance, though I have studied relevent areas, such as ladder logic and petrinets as part of my course. Saying that its all been purely academic, using pen and paper.

I've got to head off home, (nearly 7pm here in England), so I wont be able to respond properly til tomorrow.

Your help is much appreciated,

awt

Good! We are communicating, that is a huge step in the right direction.

Your code to use 2.01 to control 7.01 would look like this:

2.01      7.01
| |-------( )

CX-P v6.1 will have an END program section, so that is not a problem.

Create the program offline, then connect to the plc and download the program to the cpu. I would only check the "Program" box on the download dialog box.
CX-P should ask if it is ok to change to program mode. Say OK. It should download the program then ask if it is ok to restore the previous mode, tell it OK.
The Run led should turn on and you should be able to control the 7.01 output with 2.01 input.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Is the PLC in program mode? If it is, the outputs will not turn on. You need to turn the PLC to monitor or run mode to get the outputs to turn on.

hi,

I tried what you suggested. I managed to put the program on the PLC and confirmed that they matched.

I've then tried with both monitor and run mode (as well as program) to get a response. The input light came on, but there was nothing at the output (7.02).

I tried extending the ladder to affect all of the 7.xx , but still got no output light.

One issue may be that the "run" light was on on the LK201, but not on the main section.

I tried to set up monitoring the addresses (2.01 and 7.01), but neither changed on input. Using the same window I tried to simply set the output at 7.01 to high, but to no avail. :-S

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Sorry the questions are unclear, im still at the stage where I "dont know what I dont know"

What is the model number on the cpu?
If the Run light is not on on the cpu unit, logic is not scanned.

Go on-line with CX-P, in the workspace on the left, click on the Error Log, and see if there is any errors listed.

We will need to get the Run light on the cpu turned on before we go much further.

I've repeated everything, and the error log remained empty.

The CPU is SYSMAC C200H programmable controller CPU01
The memory unit is C200H-MR831, RAM 16KB, auxiliary power battery.

How is the battery in the MR831?
Is the Alarm/Error light on or flashing on the cpu?

Also, I would power down the processor and remove and reinstall the MR831.

If no luck with that, do you have another memory module you can try. The cpu you are working with is no longer available, it was discontinued about 5 years ago. Not sure if you would be able to find a memory module. You could try contacting an Omron distributor in the area to see if they might have a unit you could try.

That's about all I can think of to try.
Let me know how it goes.

How would I go about checking the battery? The PLC doesnt seem to use it, as the PLC is only on when the mains power is on.

The alarm/ error lights on the CPU are off.

How do you reinstall the memory unit? take it out, wait a bit and put it back in?

I'll try to find another memory module.

What is the difference in the run lights on the CPU and the LK201?

Edit: Is it possible that theres a problem with the addresses?

Last edited: