RSView SE

Will be using RSView SE but need some direction. Can anyone point me towards tutorials for RS View SE or more general information about HMI integration? Pretty solid with PLC and ladder logic. Need more info on distributed systems and HMI terms. Thank you for any direction you can provide.

Will you be using RSViewSE stand alone or distributed?

If you are talking about distributed I would really recomend some serious training. Distributed is a LOT different than anything I had done before. There are a lot of networking issues to be delt with. It will help a lot if you have a backround in networks and domains etc.

If you are talking about SE stand alone then you can probably get through it on your own. The manuals and online help files are good. There are a LOT of patches and knowledgebase documents. Do your research before jumping into this head first. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good platform. It just takes a little planning to implement it well.

After all of that I really don't have any great suggestions. I have always been a manual reader. I struggled through it and survived.

I am sure someone will be along with better advice.

Good luck

RSL

It will be RSView SE distributed, I mentioned the RA training to my boss and have received no reply. I do not think that there is an RS trainer for this program. From reading some of the 600+ page user's guide, I can see that the networking issues you mention will be a challenge. At least the system will use the Controllogix platform which will ease the PLC programming. Thanks for your input.

RSL has given excellent advice.

RSViewSE Distributed is not your grandfather's HMI. If you are newish to HMI's you WILL need some solid training (not just a week doing basic graphics) and you WILL need to have a strong grasp of Windows OS, networking, domains, and security.

FactoryTalk is a potent beast. It does things (especially in a distributed environment) that other HMI's don't even think about, but you cannot approach it with the usual "prod and poke" mentality that has served most of us so well over the years. You will have to be able to plan the implementation correctly from the get go. No shortcuts.

This is from my experience with my first SE project.

You will very likely be needing Allen-Bradley phone support.
The knowledge base will become your best friend. Sign up for a account if you don't have one already.
Connecting to a Stand alone desktop to ControlLogix is fairly simple if you have worked with ME or PanelView(+).
SE is very big on security. Trust me and write down and don't forget your password.
Go through their sample projects, they will greatly assist you in getting up to speed.

Things to do if this is a distibuted project:

1 Go to the FactoryTalk Administration console and configure the secuity policy!!!!!!! It defaults to only allowing the Adminstrator account access to detailed configuration. It sets the passwords to expire within 30 days. So unless you use the FactoryTalk configuration A LOT your password will expire without you knowing and you will be locked out. Also it sets the password attempts to a maximum of 3. So if someone tries to get into you admin account and types the wrong password 3 times you will also be locked out for good.

2 Make sure you have more than one admin account.

3 Do this before forgetting!!

Dash,

dash said:
Things to do if this is a distibuted project:

1 Go to the FactoryTalk Administration console and configure the secuity policy!!!!!!! It defaults to only allowing the Adminstrator account access to detailed configuration. It sets the passwords to expire within 30 days. So unless you use the FactoryTalk configuration A LOT your password will expire without you knowing and you will be locked out. Also it sets the password attempts to a maximum of 3. So if someone tries to get into you admin account and types the wrong password 3 times you will also be locked out for good.

2 Make sure you have more than one admin account.

3 Do this before forgetting!!

1.) I know this from experience.

2.) I know this from experience.

3.) I know this from experience.

The most cumbersome thing for me about SE was the security.

Greg

In fact, I thought things were OK on my development machine, but I have found out today that I forgot my own 3 rules. Thank goodness it is just my work machine & not a customers.

Darren