Remote operation of Ingersoll Rand compressor

Sundar

Is there some way to remotely Start/Stop and Load/Unload an Ingersoll Rand compressor equipped with an Intellisys Controller ?

I am trying to design an energy management system where I would bring a number of compressors under the control of a PLC. The PLC would decide which compressor would be loaded/Unloaded depending on the compressed air needs of the Plant.

The answer is probably yes. I took a very quick look at the web site, and it looks like they are primarily I/O modules and cards. You will need some kind of software to handle the logic.

Becareful to unload before starts

I wired a few IR air compressors to remote start stations. I used IR's output module to drive small relays that were inputs to my controller.

A few words of warning:

Never allow a start without deenergizing the unloading solenoid. You will rock that compressor. You must allow oil to flow before appling the load

High bearing temperture and discharge air temp should shut system down as well.

How are you starting the motor? Are you using Wye start/ Run Delta, or using a soft motor starter?

Steve

Thanks. I really do not want to by-pass any of the safety interlocks. What I am doing is a revamp of existing system. The intellisys and the existing compressor control logic, start stop arrangements have to remain as they are. My new energy management system will give the start/stop and load/unload commands as potential free contacts which have to be wired to the intellisys controller. Any ideas / experiences ?

kps

There is nothing to fear but fear itself

Sundar

Stop and start are easy. Parallel the start push buttons, series the stop push buttons. The load/unload switch is really only one set of contacts that pick up SV-3 when unloaded ( I think...it has been awhile ). In order to do this you would need a remote/ local switch to direct who is controlling load and unload commands. Don’t you also have an auto modulate switch to vary compressor load based on need? You can easily do your tie ins at the push button station. I would shy away trying to scab into the system at the logic panel. I found IR compressor logic cards very expensive and very under documented not to mention hard to get. I would advise you to rip that puppy out by it roots and build something you can support yourself. All the temperature sensors are simple contact closures, 5 sensor inputs, 6 pselector switches or Push buttons and about 7 solinoids. The IR rep thinks he has got you by the canolies but he really does not. This is not rocket science here.

The big question is how do you start this puppy? How many HP are we talking here.

Steve