Address Change and program changes being reset

Carlos V

can someone please instruct me on how to change the address in a program for a slc 500 controller using RSlogix500 software. I want an output bit to be changed from output 14 to output 10. I am unsure on how to type the address in. Is it 0:0/10? I am also having a problem with the same type of controller. It seems like if I happen to make a change. eg if I change the address of a bit say from o:0/14 to o:0/10 after a couple of days the program is reset so that all changes made are reversed to their previous state. Any help?

1. O:0/14 is correct.
2. I'd bet power is being cycled on your machine. The controller is being booted from EEPROM, & you're not saving your changes to EEPROM. Save your changes to EEPROM when you are online, (controller has to be in program mode) & report back the results.

Carlos,

To change the address, you just edit the rung and change the 14 to a 10 - that will save you having to retype in the address.

With your other problem it sounds like you may have a memory module in the SLC that is reloading the default program when the SLC is re-powered.

Tim.

I am unsure on how to type the address in. Is it 0:0/10?

That would be correct. Double click on the address and make the correction.

I am also having a problem with the same type of controller. It seems like if I happen to make a change. eg if I change the address of a bit say from o:0/14 to o:0/10 after a couple of days the program is reset so that all changes made are reversed to their previous state. Any help?

Now this is where things get a little bit trickier. I am assuming that since you want to change O:0/14 to O:0/10 that you must be working with one of the fixed IO SLCs. There are two possibilities that come to mind.

1) (This might seem obvious, but its a possibility) You think you are making the change but it has not actually been made in the PLC. The fixed IO SLC does not support online programming. You will have to make the address change in your program offline and then download the changed program to the PLC.

2) Your PLC has an EEProm which contains a backup copy of the program and when you cycle power the backup copy is being loaded over your changes. In the left hand project tree in RSLogix500 click on the S2 STATUS file. Then click on the Memory Module tab. From the Mem Module tab click on help for detailed info what each of the bits do. If you have an EEPROM and the PLC is configured to reload the program from EEPROM you need to either reconfigure it to not load from EEPROm or you need to save the modified program to the EEPROM. (Comms->EEPROM->Store to EEprom).