Devicenet for PLC-5

bobwithdana

I have worked with DNet and Ctrlogix for years using RSNetworx for devicenet. Now I am lost as how to configure DNet in a PLC-5 chassis. My PLC-5 is ethernet but obviously there are no slots in RSLinx to drill down through? Where do I start?

Thanks

bobwithdana said:
I have worked with DNet and Ctrlogix for years using RSNetworx for devicenet. Now I am lost as how to configure DNet in a PLC-5 chassis. My PLC-5 is ethernet but obviously there are no slots in RSLinx to drill down through? Where do I start?

Thanks

Rslinx has a devicenet driver that access the D-Net through the PLC

ScreenDnet.jpg

Ian

If you can get a 1770-KFD or 1784-PCD to go online with the network, you're going to be a lot happier. The 1747-SDNPT and 1771-SDNPT passthrough drivers are better than nothing, but they are dog-slow compared to a direct network interface.

The 1771-SDN is just a big multiple-block-transfer module from the PLC-5's perspective.

You can have several block transfers to the same slot, differentiated only by their size. The control/status word is Word 0 of the block transfer that is 62 Words in length.

I try to not use both channels of the 1771-SDN if I don't have to. It can get confusing managing the scanlist downloads for both channels, though there are some Knowbase articles that explain it.

Just an addition to some of Eddie's info. If you are not familiar with PLC-5 and the DeviceNet module, here is a very strong warning. DO NOT use the IO configuration utility in RSLogix 5. If the module is listed in this utility it will cause problems if you need to do additional block transfers to the module to get either more nodes or diagnostic information on the network.