Analog sensor connections

RayK

I'm confused! which is the correct way to connect an analog sensor? top circuit is from the AB1762-IF4 manual lower one from the Redlion manual.

Transmitter2.JPG

RYoumans said:
The top one is the preferred way.

Why??

If the transmitters are current TX (i.e 4-20 ma) then they are both correct.
The current is the same in a series circuit.

Yes, a loop is a loop. It's just better practice to have power supplies feed the transmitter first, and then the measuring device. This is the way you'll see it wired most of the time.

RYoumans said:
Yes, a loop is a loop. It's just better practice to have power supplies feed the transmitter first, and then the measuring device. This is the way you'll see it wired most of the time.

Ok. I too connect it like the top drawing, I like to fuse the "+" connections from the PS to the Transmitter. The TX is usually outside the cabinet and the PS and I/O module are inside. I like to protect against any thing going bad in the outside world.
But better practice? And thats the way you see it most of the time. Not so sure of that.( maybe)

From the installation instruction for the 1762-IF4 (Not IF4I)

System Wiring Guidelines​

Consider the following when wiring your system:

• All module commons (ANLG COM) are connected in the analog module.

The analog common (ANLG COM) is not connected to earth ground inside the module.​

• Do not use the analog module’s NC terminals as connection points.​

• Channels are not isolated from each other.​

• Use Belden™ 8761, or equivalent, shielded wire.​

• Under normal conditions, the drain wire and shield junction must be connected to earth ground via a panel or DIN rail mounting screw at the analog I/O module end. Keep the shield connection to ground as short as possible.​
(1)

• To ensure optimum accuracy, limit overall cable impedance by keeping your cable as short as possible. Locate the I/O system as close to your sensors or actuators as your application will permit.​

• If multiple power supplies are used with analog inputs, the power supply commons must be connected.​

Bottom line, I think either way will work for one sensor. I think you will have problems wiring more than one sensor with the bottom arrangement.

Last edited: