RSLogix 5 block transfer issue, maybe?

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
Over a year ago we installed a system for a customer that has a PLC5 and a 15" EZ-Touch HMI which we purchased from Automation Direct. We are using Remote I/O to communicate to the HMI. Ever since we installed this system we have had intermittent issues with the touch screen not responding to touches. Most of the time the screen will be ok but occasionally nothing will happen when you touch a button, such as a momentary push button. If you keep trying, sometimes it will start working after pushing it 5 or 6 times. Sometimes it works every time. I stood there one day and pushed the same 2 buttons about 50 times and they worked every time. My boss wants me to replace the EX-Touch. Maybe the issue is in the EZ-Touch. I have checked all my connections, termination resistors, baud rate, etc and cannot find anything. I am attaching my RSLogix 5 file to see if anyone can see aything in the program, especially the BT that looks awry.

RTA,

I could not open your file, probably because it is a newer version than my RSLogix5. Normally, if a program works once, it should work every time. The exception is where something is time-dependent.

It has been several years since I used an EZ Touch, but I think the pushbuttons have a verfication feedback bit, where a touch button bit is sent to the PLC, then it waits for a verfication bit back from the PLC. If the verifcation bit is not received in a short time, then the button does not show as being set. If so, then the problem could be that the PLC is not responding fast enough, due to scan time or RIO communications time. If this is the problem, it could be helped by using timers in the PLC, to stretch the touch bit long enough for the response bit to be seen by the touch screen.

I had to rewrite my logic for communication between RSView32 on a dell computer through a ktx card with RIO to a 5/80 plc and not use discrete
i/o but use integer bits and temporarily latch them in. I have another
RSView32 application which communicates through ethernet and there is no problem. RIO is slow.