MicroLogix 1500 connection problem

tomfarvour

Hello I am trying to connect to a MicroLogix 1500 LRP Series B that we have sitting here at the office.

I do not know what program is on it or what is on it for that matter.

the problem I am having is I cannot connect to it using my serial cable. When I use RSLinx and add the DF-1 driver, it doesn't auto-configure. I've done some reading and tried the whole switching it to DCOMM and such, but no dice.

Am I using the right cable? DB9 null modem cable? I have it plugged in to the right side of the unit labelled "CH 1".

Why isn't it auto-configuring and why won't it show up in RSLinx? Any ideas?

Thanks much,
-Tom

If I remember correctly it should be the 1747-CP3 cable. You should be able to get the pin out on the Rockwell Website.

tomalt said:
If I remember correctly it should be the 1747-CP3 cable. You should be able to get the pin out on the Rockwell Website.

So there is a special cable? I can't just use a generic DB9 Null Modem Serial cable to connect to it??

-Tom

tomalt said:

The CP3 is a null modem, DB9 F/F

The other Tom,

Maybe that channel is configured for something? like ASCII? are you sure its a null modem cable?

EDIT: See Mickey's answer, I only have 1 1500 and I have never played with it...

Last edited:
Channel 1 is on the left side of controller.
The DCOMM toggle only works for Channel 0 ( round plug on front of contoller). You need cable 1761-CBL-PM02 to connect to channel 0.
Channel 1 might be configured for DH485 protocol, if so then you will
need to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSlinx. You will need a real serial port to use this driver. Also you can not have both the DF1 and the DH485 driver running at the same time trying to use the same PC port.
Default parameters for the DH485 comm for the ML1500 are node 1 and 19200 baud rate. Make sure RSLinx has a different node address and the same baud rate ( auto configure does not work with this driver)

Thanks Micky! That worked out great. I didn't know Channel 0 was the AIC. I had an AIC+ module out in back with the cable, so I plugged it in and yes it was configured for DH485. I changed Channel 1 back to DF1 since it was set for ASCII... no wonder why I couldn't get on!

Your welcome.
Channel 0 can also be configured for DF1 ( I guess you know that).
You don't need the AIC to connect to it if you have the 1761-CBL-PM02
cable.

Right, but I only have the 1761-CBL-AM00 to connect between the Channel 0 and the AIC. It's thet only way until we get the Channel 0 connected to an Ethernet/IP card. Then I'll just use Ethernet.