I want to send a message using MSG Command?

drspanda

Dear AB Experts,

I am very much in the beginning stage...we use SLC 5/02 and DTAM 1471 is connected to it.

The system contains a conveyor and I want to send "PullCord BC203" message to DTAM.

I am not able to find the place where I give this message...In MSG help I find control block location and target address and so on.,.,

I want to know where I actually input the string.

I dont know whether my question is correct or not?

What communication method is the DTAM, most I have seen are RIO. Is yours serial through the RJ45 port or something?
A little more information is required as to your comms.

Ok, so I am guessing that you are communicating DH-485.
It's not actually WHERE you put the string. Your DTAM software will be constantly polling the DH-485 network when you want it to, in your PLC program.
You need to assign addresses with the strings that you will set up in the DTAM software, for that particualar message.
Am I clear?
BTW, what software are you using for the DTAM?
We have a couple of DTAMS still here where I am, but they are quite and anchient system.

Dear SNK,

RS Logix500 is the software we use to access SLC....I dont know which is used to program DTAM...

I was guessing that there should be a provision to hold the string in DTAM memory and when plc requests to show that string The DTAM pops it up...or Otherwise the whole string should be sent by the PLC..if this is the case I don't know..

Do you mean that I should connect DTAM to the programming PC, where a suitable software is loaded in order to program DTAM and then do the programming?

Drspanda,

To my knowlege, and in any application that uses the DTAM, you do not send strings.
You send integer words and bits from your user SLC program. These bits and words trigger messages that YOU PROGRAM in your DTAM software.

If you are sending strings, then you are DEFINATELY doing something odd,.
You would have to be communicating via ASCII then...
You had better read more on the DTAM and about every other HMI out there!

Done....Feeling very Happy....

Dear SNK,

Done!...after knowing where to write my required message I feel it is easy...

In the message instruction RSLogix500 we will give address to control word for example N10:0 and then no of words for example 7

then a setup screen opens, where we need to give data table address
for example N10:10...

Then simply save the project and open data table and goto N10:10 and also use ASCII mode to see the content of N10:10 and then type the required text and save it again.....Done!