modbus tcp/ip opc

clarke24

i want to communicate between wincc and a modicon quantum plc via etherenet, do i have to do this via opc and if i do is there any standar software in wincc or will i have to purchase something.

Modbus TCP/IP

I had the same problem but different PLC.
WinCC does not support any third party PLC drivers it only has the drivers to connect to siemens plc`s and OPC.
So you`ll have to get a OPC driver for that specific plc.
In my case I had to purchace the opc driver but I know that there are some that are supplied free.

Good Luck

OPC is a 'server/client' relationship so its a little more complicated than that. WinCC has the OPC client functionality built in but I dont think Quantum is OPC compliant.

As such if you pursue the OPC route youll need some kind of modbus/OPC server in between.

i plan on connecting the quantum plc to wincc via modbus ethernet now thats described as modbus wrapped in the ethernet protocol, i know that i have the modbus communication drivers for wincc will i be able to use these for the modbus ethernetto save using opc?