Difference beetwen normal programming and programming in S88 standard

arekk

My question concern differences in progrmamming PLC in normal way and programming with standard S88, are there any differences in programming with standard S88 and if there are where can I get information about it.

with regards

Arek K

ISA-S88 covers batch processing, there is a HUGE amount of information to consume, much more than can be posted on this forum. Best thing to do is obtain a copy of the standard. Once you have digested that, come back with specific questions.

Starting Read

Rockwell has a pretty good book to start with. I don't know where my copy is currently, and the exact name escapes me. If you call your local Rockwell rep. talk to them and see if they know the S88 Batching book which walks you through setting up Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream factory.

Sorry I don't have all the details

Ken

kbradray said:
Rockwell has a pretty good book to start with. I don't know where my copy is currently, and the exact name escapes me. If you call your local Rockwell rep. talk to them and see if they know the S88 Batching book which walks you through setting up Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream factory.

Sorry I don't have all the details

Ken

Does anybody know the name of the document Ken is writing about because my local rockwell doesn't know this document

Arek K

The book that Ken mentioned is titled "Applying S88: Batch Control from a User's Perspective" by Parshall and Lamb. The ISBN number is 9781556177033. The book is printed by ISA, but is actually a little cheaper from Barnes and Noble. It gives a good understanding of taking the S88 standard and applying it to a real-world application.

Don

DDyer said:
The book that Ken mentioned is titled "Applying S88: Batch Control from a User's Perspective" by Parshall and Lamb. The ISBN number is 9781556177033. The book is printed by ISA, but is actually a little cheaper from Barnes and Noble. It gives a good understanding of taking the S88 standard and applying it to a real-world application.

Don

THX I found it in the amazon

There is no difference at all, because the S88 standard does not say anything about programming. Right at the start it says:
"Specifically, this standard provides a standard terminology and a consistent set of concepts and models for batch manufacturing plants and batch control that will improve communications between all parties involved"​
That said, the models can provide some basis for a software design. And if you are working with a batch package such as RSBatch or InBatch etc then you have to have a structure that supports interfacing the procedural control in the batch package with the "phase logic" in your controllers. This is typically called the Phase Logic Interface - a monsonmer since it should also be possible to interface operations and higher procedural levels.​
More information here​
Francis​

a monsonmer
Excellent!;)

Darn these S88 terms. What's one of these then? I'll hazard a guess it's a misnomer for a monomer only used during the monsoon at midsummer? How close am I?

Ken