PanelBuilder on laptop; serial port question

drpepper

Hi,
I am running PanelBuilder 5 something on an XP laptop with no serial port. I want to download applications to a PV1200. I need to buy some kind of USB-serial port adapter cable or add serial via an ExpressCard Slot. A guy at Quatech told me if I go the cable route, the serial port would be a Virtual COM port and if I used the ExpressCard slot it would show up as a normal COM port. I don't know if he is right, but I am wondering about the PanelBuilder. Would it have a problem communicationg with these devices? I just wanted to ask before I order something. I tried calling AB but I don't have any contract to get tech support so...here I am. Thanks in advance for any help.

I like the Keyspan USB to serial... But you may call me a little bias :)

I have used it with Panelbuilder 32, I don't know what the 5 is

Well thanks, GiT. I'm flattered.

PanelBuilder 1200 version 5.01 is a DOS based program for configuring PanelView 1200 graphic operator interface terminals, which are usually known as "PanelView Classic". You can still run and use this program on DOS computers, but the PanelView terminals and the PanelBuilder 1200 for DOS are no longer sold or supported by Rockwell Automation. Like DOS, PanelView Classics have been superseded by several generations of newer designs.

Windows 3.1, Windows 95 and Windows 98/98SE had a lot of compatibility with DOS-mode serial port drivers.

Windows NT introduced a more complex "hardware abstraction layer" and many DOS programs that use the serial port will not work in NT and its children Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.

Some DOS programs use the DOS operating system serial port functions that are emulated by XP's "compatibility mode" and work fine. Some use direct hardware access which XP can't emulate, and don't work.

Which is the case with PanelBuilder for DOS version 5.01 ?

Um, I don't know. I haven't had to work on a PV1200 Classic for six or seven years.

I do have a PV1200, a Dell PC running Windows XPSP2, and a Keyspan US19 adapter. I'll see if I can dig out PanelBuilder 1200 for DOS version 5.01.

Thanks Ken, that is great info and that would be great if you could try using your adapter. Just one question...I am using PanelBuilder 1200 for Windows...is that still considered a DOS based program though? Also, I have a coworker that has a WindowsXP laptop that actually has a serial port on it. He is using the same PB 1200 for Windows version that I have and he has no problems downloading or uploading apps to the PV.