communicate with s7-300 with usb-rs232 adapter

bara_hence

I have the original cable for the plc but I need to connect it to a usb port is it possible to buy a adapter (rs232-usb) and communicate with this?? I met an old engineer today that said that was impossible..

So far I have had no luck in using an USB/RS232 converter in combination with RS232/MPI and I have tried out a couple already. I'm very satisfied with my newer USB/MPI converters I (my firm, that is) bought from Siemens. I got rid of the communications bottleneck overnight. Now I'm able to program over 187.5kBaud all the way and even analyse DP connections on the full 12Mbit/s. Program status is also a lot faster. I think it's the best investment we have done in the past years.

Kind regards,

Ok thats to bad it´s a little expensive for me as a student to buy these things.. The reason I ask is that I was offered to work extra doing service on the plcs in a small factory and there i must communicate with s7-300. They have the cable and hardware but i must use my own computer.. And i dont have a rs232 port on it...

Do your laptop have a docking station ?
Some docking stations have a connector that connects directly to the laptops motherboard, not via USB, and in this way provide a "real" serial port.

nope no docking station.. I read on another site that someone had sucessfully used a rs232-usb adapter with s7-300.. So maybe it will work..

I use a USB/Serial adaptor with my PC adaptor, I never had any problems. I think the maximum baud rate is 1.5MBPS, but I usually use the MPI port so this is fine.

The PC adaptor is RS232 to MPI/DP 6ES7 972-0CA23-0XA0 V5.1

The converter has a FTDI chipset like this one; http://www.usbnow.co.uk/p48/USB_to_RS232_with_FTDI_Chipset_(1.8M_Cable)/product_info.html

My laptop is a HP Compaq Presario, my collegue used the same leads on his Dell, I think it will work with any PC.

Jason,

thanks for the info. Whenever I need a new converter, I'll look out for that chipset.

The converters I have are based on other chips and work fine with Allen-Bradley and Omron PLCs, but I didn't have any luck with Siemens. My PIC programmer also didn't work with these.

Kind regards,

jvdcande said:
My PIC programmer also didn't work with these.

I never heard of a 1747-PIC working with anything other than real serial. I have a brainboxes PCMCIA/serial card and it will not run the PIC.