SCADA software on a CF card

Marshy

Hi,
Has anyone had any experience of running any SCADA software off of a Compact Flash card?
If it does work okay are there any disadvantages such as read/write access speed?
I haven't any experience of running any type of software from a CF card, the reason we want to go down this route is the PC is to be installed in an area with a lot of vibration.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

are we talking server or client, which SCADA software ?

i would have thought it would be best to have the server away from the vibration area then run either a web client or full client (depending on the functionality and look you require) on a fanless diskless PC in the vibration area

tragically1969 said:
are we talking server or client, which SCADA software ?

iFix4.0 with an MBE I/O driver

i would have thought it would be best to have the server away from the vibration area then run either a web client or full client (depending on the functionality and look you require) on a fanless diskless PC in the vibration area

So would I but my manager is insisting he wants it in this area, I'm trying to get some ammo as to why not to go down this route.

Cheers

managers eh ?, who would have them !!

I use Citect myself so cant comment on iFix but i would think a quick call to the iFix tech guys telling them what you want to do will soon give you a yes or no answer

In the case of Citect there is a minimum Spec for the server machine, just check that for iFix, if it says 40GB HDD etc then you have blown your CF card straight out of the water and hence going against the manufacturers specification if you do use CF card, should be a good starting point with the manager ?