Mac & USB->RS adapter

I've got serveral roles in my company, and besides PLC stuff, I also do a bunch of linux work. It's also new computer time.

I would love to get a Mac (it's pretty linuxy) and run RS* through VMWare, but I have been told that the USB->RS232/485 adapters don't really work all that well. I also don't have the opportunity to test it out myself at the moment.

Are any of you guys aware of any problems using RSLogix/View/etc through VMWare and a USB adapter?

Again I do not get it. Using a Mac (approx cost $1200) with an Intel processor then installing Windows, where is the advantage?

Rockwell is MS based, nothing will change that, so anything you do will require Windows and defeat any (supposed) advantages of another OS.

well, as stated, the Mac has a linux core that I utilize in my other duties here. I can install VMWare Fusion and run RS programs natively in the Mac OS, and this would eliminate the need to haul around two computers. I have no issues running Windows within a Mac, but there are lots of Mac stuff I need that doesn't exist in Windows.

Native? Your concepts do not match mine, have no idea what duties could include Mac where a Linux environment is involved, there is no similarity overall.

RS is strictly windows, so need to use Parallel or Boot Camp etc. and install Windows; which excludes being native, it becomes an Intel Machine with a Windows OS.

I can not help you so will not reply again.

You're coming across a bit rude. I'm asking if the USB->RS232 adapters will work.

You don't need to care why I require a macintosh. It's based on FreeBSD which matches the environment of a unix/linux machine greatly. For example, in Windows, there is no 'grep', or /tmp or init.d.

So, would someone ELSE mind sharing their experiences with the USB to RS-232 adapter as it pertains to PLC work with RSLogix. Some folks in the office here have mentioned there are some issues, but they did not know the specifics.

Never used a Mac myself however I could not find any driver support for the 1747-UIC. If I recall correctly Mac computer do not use the 8086 Intel instruction set on its hardware end so I would recommend you check with the various support sites Ie www.AB.com as to whether or not multi operating system will allow you to use its adaptors with a multi operating system config on a Mac Machine. The hardware instructions may be an issue

mainstreetmark said:
Alright, thanks for the reply.

Setting the "mac" issue aside for a bit, what about the USB-RS232 adaptor. Does anyone have any experience with that.

There are many,many threads on this subject.(Search)For Windows
I use an "Aten" it has never failed to work with any AB products
and several other vendors. Others use the "Keyspan" without problems. see below links

Note:USB to Serial adapters will not work with AB's 1747-PIC/AIC driver.( need real serial port for this one)

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/homepage.spml

http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?pcid=2005010513171002&psid=20070130144911002&pid=2005022316346005&layerid=subClass7

Last edited:
Keyspan have adapter for mac USB to rs232.

Its definitely would not work with PIC but with DF1 it might to work.
With UIC it might work, need to be tested.

Ron

MAC with Intel processor can work as Mac and as regular (WIN) PC.
In that way pepole who need Mac can enjoy both worlds.

I know the MT-609-2 usb-232 adaptor will run on MAC 8.6 or higher however it does not handle the handshaking to DH+,DF1 or toolbus properly. Currently checking Omrons CS1w-CIF31 adaptor

The Keyspan USB to Serial adaptor has worked best for me (I've tried a bunch of them). The Keyspan one worked on some devices that I wasn't able to use at all with others (Maple OITs).

PS. Good luck with the Apple. I'm seriously considering getting a Macbook Pro for my personal machine and hopefully being able to run my Rockwell development software with Parallels Desktop.

I'd be interested to hear how things work out for you.