SLC 5/05 Remote I/O

bradal

Hello All,

Hopefully you can help me with an upcoming project. Right now there is an existing 5/03 on site in the "Filter" control panel. I will be installing a new control panel with a 5/05 and installing the 1747-SN, the 5/03 in the Filter control panel will be swapped out with the 1747-ASB. So that takes care of the local I/O in the plant, but I have a small lift station next to the Plant that I need to get a couple digital points from. What does Allen-Bradley offer for remote ethernet I/O, and what experiences have you had with them? Would I be better off going with 3rd party I/O-communication blocks to transfer the I/O over the air. Regardless of which way I go I would have wireless communication to this liftstation. Any help would be appreciated.

You won't be able to control I/O over ethernet using a SLC 5/05 or with any type of ethernet adapter. The ethernet on SLC's, MicroLogix1100's and PLC-5's is for peer-to-peer communications. To control I/O over ethernet you have to move into one of the ControLogix platforms (ControLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix).

bradal said:
Hello All,

Hopefully you can help me with an upcoming project. Right now there is an existing 5/03 on site in the "Filter" control panel. I will be installing a new control panel with a 5/05 and installing the 1747-SN, the 5/03 in the Filter control panel will be swapped out with the 1747-ASB. So that takes care of the local I/O in the plant, but I have a small lift station next to the Plant that I need to get a couple digital points from. What does Allen-Bradley offer for remote ethernet I/O, and what experiences have you had with them? Would I be better off going with 3rd party I/O-communication blocks to transfer the I/O over the air. Regardless of which way I go I would have wireless communication to this liftstation. Any help would be appreciated.

I beleive there is no Ethernet I/P I/O available for the SLC 5/05 family. The etherent is for messaging only.

You may want to consider Compactblock I/O for the remote location using RIO.

Without knowing the kind of I/O you need I'd look at a microLogix
1100. Has a built in ethernet port so you can talk to the SLC.
It'll probably be more cost effective as well. You can decide
if you want the micro to emulate remote I/O over ethernet or
if you want it to do the lift-station logic.

Good luck

(8{)} :) .)

(Yosi)

bradal said:
Would I be better off going with 3rd party I/O-communication blocks to transfer the I/O over the air.
Asking like that tells us that it isnt absolutely necessary to go wifi. So dont !
Just get some flexible drag-chain grade RIO cable, put a RIO block in the lift and be done with it.

(8{)} ( .) said:
Without knowing the kind of I/O you need I'd look at a microLogix
1100. Has a built in ethernet port so you can talk to the SLC.
It'll probably be more cost effective as well. You can decide
if you want the micro to emulate remote I/O over ethernet or
if you want it to do the lift-station logic.

That's an interesting idea. I've used the Micrologix 1100 with Ethernet on a number of occasions and it's a great little unit. The ladder program could just consist of a few MSG instructions to make it work like remote I/O. The only potential problem could be I/O update speed since the Ethernet connection won't be as fast as a dedicated RIO line.