SLC5/04 Comms Trouble

Kabir

I have been working wit PLC's for sometime now, however recently i've encounted a situation that had me wondering what should be done.

On one remote location to our general PLC network there is a SLC5/04 connected to a PV1000 via DH+ in addition the SLC Ch0 is used to connect to a motion controller.

I went to the site with my laptop and tried to establish communications with the SLC however it failed. Looking at the offline program showed that CH0 was configured for 'User Mode' hence the SLC was looking for ASCII commands that did not match my DF1 driver.

Question:
Since the laptop is not configured with a DH+ interface card how was I supposed to connect to the SLC?

We have slc 5/04 but there connected to pv 550's and we go through the pv to connect to the slc. I haven't worked with a pv1000 yet so I don't know if there is a extra port to connect to the slc.

Your only options are:
Reset CPU and then connect through serial port and download an user program from your laptop (assuming you have latest version).
Or - the best would be to connect to PLC via DH+. You can tap to DH+ cable at PLC or PV end. You need DH+ card in your PC though.

First Off Thanks So Far!

When you say reset the PLC what do you mean? I was not aware that there was a way to change the Serial Port mode from outside the PLC (Well yeah I guess you could include code change mode based upon a input signal). If you know of another way to change the serial port mode from outside i would be glad to know. I know the Micrologix has a Communications mode toggle button located on the controller than can do this but i've never had to do this with the SLC.

I would normally use DH+ to go online with the SLC however only one of our laptop has a DH+ card installed.

I would look into the PV1000 for connection to the SLC via the serial port located on it however I am almost cirtain that some setup would have to be done for that to be functional within the panel view.

I heard a rumor that there was a way to send a command on ASCII with hyperterminal (or something similar) to switch from USER mode to SYSTEM mode.

I could never get it to work. If anyone does know, I'd really like to know, as I've run into a similar problem in the past.

Some changes to the comm port configuration will have to be made then see PDF below

mode.jpg

Last edited:
Going through the PV

We have a SLC 5/03 here with the DH485 communicating with a Panelview and its RS232 DF1 port communicating with a compumotor. I have been able to communicate with the SLC through the extra port on the Panelview. I did have to use the PIC box to get comms.