Cannot print Ladder from SquareD SFW374 software.

GilovanJoe

Hey all. I do hope someone can give me a quick answer. I haven't used this software in a couple of years, but need to look at some possible changes and wanted a printed ladder hardcopy. I'm using it here at home so it's offline, loaded the rungs and merged the labels, but hitting F8 Print just gives a beep and no printing. Went and printed a copy of the the PLC rack addressing and it printed, as did a quick cross reference, but no ladder.

I think I am not doing something right but can't remember. I don't even get a print function on the menus until I search for a rung. After that the F8 key shows print, but as I said before, nothing happens other than the annoying error beep.

I went and moved the key to another computer where software was installed previuosly and same thing, so it's not a software error, just my error.

I never did care for this old program, but it is on a old machine with limited use (but needed) so no way could I buy new software, at a cost of probably more than what the entire peice of equipment is worth. But I'll keep reading the 900 page manual and see if I can figure out my error, but if you know, I'd much appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Joel

I am not sure on this software but I know on some of the other SQD software that I have and use that under the file option there is a print setup, it has been called a number of things but usually this reference is pretty close. If you open that option it give you options of what you want to print. There is an option for printing ladder, a section of the ladder, with or without descriptions, etc. Hopefully your version has this option and will allow you to setup the print jobs as you require. Check and let us know.

GilovanJoe said:
Hey all. I do hope someone can give me a quick answer. I haven't used this software in a couple of years, but need to look at some possible changes and wanted a printed ladder hardcopy. I'm using it here at home so it's offline, loaded the rungs and merged the labels, but hitting F8 Print just gives a beep and no printing. Went and printed a copy of the the PLC rack addressing and it printed, as did a quick cross reference, but no ladder.

I think I am not doing something right but can't remember. I don't even get a print function on the menus until I search for a rung. After that the F8 key shows print, but as I said before, nothing happens other than the annoying error beep.

I went and moved the key to another computer where software was installed previuosly and same thing, so it's not a software error, just my error.

I never did care for this old program, but it is on a old machine with limited use (but needed) so no way could I buy new software, at a cost of probably more than what the entire peice of equipment is worth. But I'll keep reading the 900 page manual and see if I can figure out my error, but if you know, I'd much appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Joel

I have a slightly newer version, I think... 472?

From the top menu, go to "Program Setup". There's a print option, and I hope you have a serial port and printer.

tomalbright said:
I have a slightly newer version, I think... 472?

From the top menu, go to "Program Setup". There's a print option, and I hope you have a serial port and printer.

The 374 software uses an entirely different print function than the 47x family. The 374 software is not user friendly. Its commands were purpose created to mimic those on a dedicated progamming panel from back in the early 80's.

To print the entire program in 374, you first search for rung 1 but you hit the F8(print softkey) instead of the computer ENTER key.

SEARCH (F3?)
PRINT (F8)

Thanks Jim, I was searching first but following with F5 command and displaying the rungs first - doesn't work! It will not print from this point although the F8 Print key is sitting there same as in the step before. I completely forgot how frustrating this program is after any length of time without using it. I will never understand the "logic" of entering in a search, and immediately entering print key before actually seeing anything. Sure wish there was a "top" menu as tomalbright suggested.

I had finally found the print instructions in the manual, page 369. It could have been faster, but most of my index is missing. It's hard to believe how much time I wasted hunting for a print command on a computer program. That sounds almost unbelievable. I could program it but not print it!

Thanks guys for the help. Next time I hope its a real programming question and not just a mental lapse.

GilovanJoe said:
I will never understand the "logic" of entering in a search, and immediately entering print key before actually seeing anything. Sure wish there was a "top" menu as tomalbright suggested.

The Sy/Max SFW374 is a direct (immediate) successor to the dedicated programming terminals that were in use prior to the advent of "portable" personal computers. The keystrokes were purposely designed to be "backward compatible" and did not take advantage of many DOS features. The SFW47x family was much more computer friendly but even then it was still DOS based. It was not until the SFW57x family that Windows functionality, and compatibility, was addressed.