Panelview+ Configuration

kbradray

I need any guidance for PV+ communication to a SLC 5/05 via Ethernet to be offered. I am familiar with HMI programming, and have uploaded and downloaded program modifications to the PV+ from my laptop. Today I had a communication issue, after download, because all of my buttons on the HMI screen were red with error and messages that it could not write to the integer file. Thankfully I always upload what is in the unit prior to any downloads, but this time it took a couple of tries to get the original program reloaded. Can someone offer a quick tutorial of how to configure IP addressing and communication with Panelview+? Even a general PV+ configuration navigation tutorial would be appreciated. I am now going to the AB website to start on their manuals, but I generally get better information from you guys.

Thanks in advance

Ken

set the ip address to a free one that is in the same ip range as the slc/505.

make sure you setup the rslinx enterprise communication in your hmi program so the tags are directed to tthe correct processor.

From the configuration screen:
Press terminal setting and scroll down to network and communications, select network connections, select network adaptors, select ip address. (determine if you are using dhcp or not) we have a set range of static ip's that we use so if you have one allocated, just set "use dhcp" to no and enter the device's ip address

Last edited:
Here's what I do when setting up the configuration:

First I connect to the network that the PLC is on and make sure that I can ping the PV+ and PLC. In the Explorer Tree of the application, find "RSLinx Enterprise" and underneath it should be "Communications Setup".

Open up the communications setup and you will notice a device shortcut on the left and two tabs (Local and Target). The local tab basically tells the application on your laptop where the tags are located. The target tab tells the MER (which will be loaded into the panelview) where it needs to look for tags. This the one you will mainly be concerned with.

I first setup the Local tab. You need to build a path to your SLC 5/05. Once that is done, click apply (make sure that before you click apply, the shortcut name is highlighted). Then I open up a screen go "view" on the toolbar and click "Test Display". This will actually run the current display that you have open, just like it's in the panelview (using the local path).

If it works properly, go back into communications setup and (while on the local tab), click the shortcut name so that it is highlighted, and click "copy". This will copy your local path to the target. Now I switch over to the target tab and click the shortcut name again. It should should expand the tree and show you the processor that it is looking at.

Hopefully that all made sense. I'm not the best at text directions.

IP change with ViewME

Thanks for the response.

Is it possible to change the IP address of the panelview + via RSView ME?

I was thinking of not going through the configuraion screen of the Panleview+ but using the communication tab on the project->navigating to the PV+ -> right cliking and change the address here. I don't know if this will work, and I don't have one not running on the floor to try. I was wandering if anyone else with this experience has changed a PV+ ip address in this fashion?

kbradray said:
Thanks for the response.

Is it possible to change the IP address of the panelview + via RSView ME?

I was thinking of not going through the configuraion screen of the Panleview+ but using the communication tab on the project->navigating to the PV+ -> right cliking and change the address here. I don't know if this will work, and I don't have one not running on the floor to try. I was wandering if anyone else with this experience has changed a PV+ ip address in this fashion?

i believe that just tells it where to look for the device