Ot...ssd

A usb jump drive at 64 G!!!!!

Impressive but far too slow. I now normally use a SATAII hard drive with a SATAII connection in the back of the computer. Works as fast as a SATAII hard drive.

Solid state drives are the bomb! But they're expensive and may have a numbered life in terms of writes (if their controllers compensate for this you should be fine).

I would consider RAID to protect you from hard drive crashes. How many hard drives do you have and how old are they? 3 seems like a lot, but it all depends on what you're running.

David_Emmerich said:
If you have ever had a hard disk crash...I lost 3 during 2007...this might be the answer...

32-GB SSD www.ritekusa.com , 32-GB SATA SSD 2.5"

David

Good God! That's crazy (especially the price)! It's not that slow! That little drive will sustain 15/20 Mb/s, read/write, respectively. That's not too far off from a modern hard drive. I'm willing to bet that the latency is much lower too.

If money wasn't an issue you could buy RAM disks that run normal DDR2 memory (and have a battery backup) in a RAID configuration. That's probably be cheaper than that sweet little device. Or you could get your own SAN - but that'd be considerably more expensive.

BobB said:
Impressive but far too slow. I now normally use a SATAII hard drive with a SATAII connection in the back of the computer. Works as fast as a SATAII hard drive.

David,

Can you post more info on failed HDDs? I have bunch of computers and so far never had a hard disk drive failure. They sure can fail so I'm keeping important things redundant. One of the drives was making horrible sounds (on occasion of course which made me paranoid), firmware upgrade cured the problem but just to be safe I moved it to less important PC. Are the failed units mobile or desktop drives? Are they subject to shocks, vibrations and are they cooled properly?

Just curious...

The real question is what is the impact of a HDD crash? How long does it take to recover and can data be restored? RAM drives that do not answer these properly are just as 'dangerous' as moving media. Even RAID, if not redundant does not answer all of this. What I have seen in some places is that RAM disks are having too much 'trust' put on them. When you have a disk crash or controller go bad the only real good safety net is proper backup and proper replacement procedures, or go redundant.
Anyway that's my opinion.
Some day the RAM drive may replace the HDD, but it will be a while or take another leap in either technology or manufactuing costs, or both.

Oh, right! The RAM drive was my dreamy response to the 64 meg thumb drive post. It was all about performance, which has little to do with OPs question about dying drives. As to the future, they'll probably resemble the aforementioned solid state drives, not the RAM drives I was referring to - they're too volatile.

My "real" response was the earlier post about RAID. The only version that doesn't include redundancy is RAID 1, striping, which significantly increases your chances of failure (by the number of drives). Depending on your requirements, RAID 0, 5, 6, or 1+0 can save you a lot of time and spare you on recovery effort.

RussB said:
The real question is what is the impact of a HDD crash? How long does it take to recover and can data be restored? RAM drives that do not answer these properly are just as 'dangerous' as moving media. Even RAID, if not redundant does not answer all of this. What I have seen in some places is that RAM disks are having too much 'trust' put on them. When you have a disk crash or controller go bad the only real good safety net is proper backup and proper replacement procedures, or go redundant.
Anyway that's my opinion.
Some day the RAM drive may replace the HDD, but it will be a while or take another leap in either technology or manufactuing costs, or both.

Why not use ghosting software to create an image of the hard drive. And let the ghosting software to do an automatic back up say…once a week. And do all this over a LAN!!

www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost

This will not stop the failure of the hard drive but, will keep you from loosing any data.

If you have ever had a hard disk crash...I lost 3 during 2007...this might be the answer.
Did you have 3 drives physically fail or were some of them OS crashes?? 3 in one year is some really bad luck.

I ghost my drives probably 4 times a year. I backup data weekly and sometimes daily. NTBackup is included in XP & Windows 2000. NTBackup is actually a lite version of Veritas Backup Exec which in my opinion is (was) an excellent tool. Symantec bought it and turned it into a resource hog just like the rest of their products. Click start >run then type ntbackup >enter. Skip the wizard and click the backup tab. It also does system state so be sure to select it in the backup tree.

Karen's replicator is a great backup utility and it is free http://www.karenware.com/powertools.asp

Whatever method you choose you should backup often.

Talk to your IT person about backing up to the server. As jlcannOn mentioned you can send a ghost image across a LAN. Server drives are enterprise quality and are almost always RAID arrays as Surferb mentioned.

Ghost is a great program. It's more useful for setting up restore points for drives (OS and program installs) than backing up data.

jlcann0n said:
Why not use ghosting software to create an image of the hard drive. And let the ghosting software to do an automatic back up say…once a week. And do all this over a LAN!!

www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost

This will not stop the failure of the hard drive but, will keep you from loosing any data.

Hi group...two of the failed drives were on my company supplied laptops...I am 'given' "really good, it was only used for email" units, and they just do not survive in my workplace environment, which is very fine cement dust, welding smoke, very fine iron oxide powdered dyes, and strong vibrations...we make and repair equipment that we use in our 11 concrete block production plants.

I do backup my plc programs every evening to one of two 2GB thumb drives, swapping each time. One is blue, the other is neon red...so I have not lost any real data, its just the waste of time getting everything reinstalled around windose...

Is anyone using Linux on their laptops that you use with DirectSoft or AB software?

The third laptop was my personal brand new Dell...it let its' smoke out in a big poof when 240vac was fed to a USB port via a stupid, (more colorful words),waste of skin , immature 'electrical wonder child' who reversed the line and neutral on adjacent duplex outlets, fed from different breakers...the laptop was plugged into one, and the plc that I was going to preload for a spare was in the other... I inserted the com cable, and out came the smoke...I'm still waiting for that to be replaced......

David

LMAO - you have other problems that the Penguin won't begin to help you with. I'd recommend a good insurance policy.

Linux with DirectSoft or AB software? AD says that there aren't Linux versions available and I know there aren't for AB. Don't waste your effort with WINE and industrial software. You could use it as the host operating system for virtualization, but that's really just running Windows.

David_Emmerich said:
Hi group...two of the failed drives were on my company supplied laptops...I am 'given' "really good, it was only used for email" units, and they just do not survive in my workplace environment, which is very fine cement dust, welding smoke, very fine iron oxide powdered dyes, and strong vibrations...we make and repair equipment that we use in our 11 concrete block production plants.

I do backup my plc programs every evening to one of two 2GB thumb drives, swapping each time. One is blue, the other is neon red...so I have not lost any real data, its just the waste of time getting everything reinstalled around windose...

Is anyone using Linux on their laptops that you use with DirectSoft or AB software?

The third laptop was my personal brand new Dell...it let its' smoke out in a big poof when 240vac was fed to a USB port via a stupid, (more colorful words),waste of skin , immature 'electrical wonder child' who reversed the line and neutral on adjacent duplex outlets, fed from different breakers...the laptop was plugged into one, and the plc that I was going to preload for a spare was in the other... I inserted the com cable, and out came the smoke...I'm still waiting for that to be replaced......

David

David,

I was thinking about your quest for a linux solution for direct soft when I remembered a thread over on the AD forum.
http://forum1.automationdirect.com/board/Forum1/HTML/002524.html
In this thread Chris Zeman discusses his trials with DS5 and linux. At first he was using cross over linux then switched to wine. The thread ends with an apparent success with admitted quirkyness.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about linux.

Try Snapshot

Thought about using Snapshot? I got this little program about a year ago and believe me its very user friendly, fast, works under windows, no rebooting. All you do is backup your drive ( I connect drives via the USB port with a IDE to USB cable) and then when you want to make a new drive set your partitions up in windows and reload the new drive. Start to finish of cloning a drive is less than ten minutes after you have done your first one. This is miles better than Ghost and it is only about 1Mb in size. If anyone wants a copy ask me and I will email it. Although it will be Monday until I can get it from my work machine.