Wire Labelers

plc noob

I am in the market for a wire marker / labeler . i used to have a brady id xpert at my previous job . seemed to work well and the heat shrink markers were pretty good . but expensive as well as the labeler . i am now looking at the rhino 5000 . and from the pictures it looks like the exact same labeler . maybe the same manufacturer for both ? the rhino looks to be about half the price of the id xpert and i am on a tight budget . does anyone here have one of the rhino units or experience with one ? any suggestions

I have a rhino 5000pro. the one thing I dont like about it is the labels. Seems like they are a low quality and dont stick very well. If you have a long number to print it automatically reduces the size of the print which could get very small if you dont be careful. I guess you get what you pay for. Its an OK printer for the money.

I am in the market for a wire marker / labeler .
I was in your same spot a few months ago. Specifically I was looking for a model that would do the heat-shrink labels. The three units I found were Brady IDxpert, Kroy, and Dymo Rhino. The Rhino looked good for the price but I recall that their heat shrink labels were not available in smaller sizes like Kroy and Brady. We do a lot of 18-20awg wiring so that was important to me. I eventually purchased the IDxpert because we already have some Brady labelers here. Overall I've been satisfied with the unit. Yes the heat shrink labels are expensive, but if you can plan out what you need and print everything at once, there isn't as much waste.

I am glad this has been posted as i am in the same situation, currently we wire number using the chevron cut style numerical markers which as i am sure you will agree is very cheap but also very time consuming/mind numbing.

I want a much better and more proffesional way of marking our cables but it needs to be cost effective or my MD wont go for it; we have a bradey ID expert but the heat-shrink markers are about £35 here in the UK - and you only get 100 a roll so its far to expensive when you are terminating 1000+ wires a panel.

Any suggestions, i have been looking at a thermal printing system by partex (www.partex.co.uk) which is very cheap but has anyone have any experience of there products??

Kind Regards,
Bri.

Wire tag labels

What kind of work do you need it for, field work or shop work?
For field applications we are using the Panduit LS8. It is very versitle but printing is kinda slow. Here is the link: http://www.panduit.com/PressReleases/103937.asp

If you are building control panels in a shop or have large quantities of labels to print consider using a system with a desktop computer and printer. This will probably be faster and cheaper in the long run. Brady make a nice software package awhile back, but there are several on the market that are as good or better.

Mainly build all our panels and machines in-house, occasionally do on-site modifications but i can always use the brady for that...

Any suggestions to brands etc??

Also what kind of numbering sytems do you guys use, currently we are numberical but i plan to change to label each wire as per where it is terminated, eg. -K1:A1, -K1:A2 etc

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Brian.

Our plant uses the Brady ID Expert.We have had no problems with it until someone drops it.OUCH!
The labels are always clear and the labels stick well to even small awg size conductors.The software it comes with for the computer is also great.
You will get what you pay for even if it costs more.