Communicatino BWN 2 S300 PLC w PRofibus

engrselva

Hi guys
I am new to Seimens PLC programming. But, I know some level of programming for seimens. Currently I'm working with two S-300 CPU314C-2DP and a HMI station MP277. i need to have it running profibus with one CPU as master and the rest as slaves.

I can work with individual CPU to read anologue values and activate some relays based on certain conditions. The values need to be shown HMI with user control to change the screen.

My problem is in configuration of the PLCs and HMI for PROFIBUS networking. further I need some guidance in programming to extract the data from slaves So if anyone able to help me out on how to set this up? i'm feeling lost right now. Hope You guys can help me with some guide and sample codes.

Thanks a lot.

selva

Hello engrselva:

First, to interconnect 2 Siemens CPUs as master and slave over Profibus-DP, have a look at the following Siemens FAQ:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/6518822

Study the dowloadable project, even thogh the CPUs in the example do not exactly match your own. The basic configurations will still apply; the only majopr difference is that the S7-400 CPUs support "Partial Process Images", and the S7-300s don't. Just skip that paragraph. Build your own project with both CPUs (and programs) in the same project, and follow the same steps. Plan your own exchange tabnle sizes and locations of course.

Now, for the HMI station. The Profibus configuration of the MP277 is not done in Step 7, but in your HMI software (Protool or WinCC flexible). This is because they are not slaves, but Masters Class 2 on Profibus (look upo the definition in your Profibus manuals, or look on Profibus.com). The easiest way for you to do this is to integrate your HMI software in Step 7, add an HMI station in the Step 7 project, double-click on the HMI icon to open the HMI software there, and go to communications: select a Profibus address and connect to the address of the master in the project. You will be able to select all tags from the master directly.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Thanks Daniel
I try with your advise and get back to you if I have further questions. Thanks again.

regards
selva

dchartier said:
Hello engrselva:

First, to interconnect 2 Siemens CPUs as master and slave over Profibus-DP, have a look at the following Siemens FAQ:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/6518822

Study the dowloadable project, even thogh the CPUs in the example do not exactly match your own. The basic configurations will still apply; the only majopr difference is that the S7-400 CPUs support "Partial Process Images", and the S7-300s don't. Just skip that paragraph. Build your own project with both CPUs (and programs) in the same project, and follow the same steps. Plan your own exchange tabnle sizes and locations of course.

Now, for the HMI station. The Profibus configuration of the MP277 is not done in Step 7, but in your HMI software (Protool or WinCC flexible). This is because they are not slaves, but Masters Class 2 on Profibus (look upo the definition in your Profibus manuals, or look on Profibus.com). The easiest way for you to do this is to integrate your HMI software in Step 7, add an HMI station in the Step 7 project, double-click on the HMI icon to open the HMI software there, and go to communications: select a Profibus address and connect to the address of the master in the project. You will be able to select all tags from the master directly.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Warning: If the MP277 needs to connect to both PLCs via Profibus, and one PLC is slave and the other is master, then the MP277 will lose connection to slave PLC if the slave PLC isn't controlled by the master. Is this acceptable for you ?
If not, connect to both PLCs via MPI.

Hi Jesper
I don't want that way. Though there is communication break in between master and slave plc, the slave should be able to communicate with HMI. in fact, in my project there will be a situation to isolate the two PLCs delibrately. But the individual operation of PLC should not be affected and HMI and slave plc should continue to communicate. Can you suggest any method that could do this way? thanks

regards
selva

Hi again.

It sounds like you alreay have the 314C-2DP's.
Normally it is a good idea to consider and verify all aspects of the setup before you purchase anything.

I suggest you use MPI for the MP277.
All other solutions will be more complicated and costly.
The most obvious alternative solution would be to install a CP342-5 in one of the 314C-2DP PLCs so you can have both master and slave in one PLC.
Another more sneaky solution would be to install a DP/DP coupler in the network. In that way both 314C-2DPs can be masters on the same network.
And there are probably more possibilities.