S300 314ifm

OLI CHARVILL

hi all,

I am new to this page but work in the automotive trade as electrical mechanical maintenance engineer just done a basic plc course with Siemens through work,

the problem I have is that a 314 ifm plc which is used to control a 250tonne heating press but the 1st and 2nd built in rack on the plc is getting extreamly hot there is also 5 expansion racks,

I don't know if this is common I have checked other presses at work but plcs seem to be at normal temp,

also to load and configure an new plc same model, with the same plc program and wincc program for hmi screen, I am write in saying I need the original programs on my pg inorder to configure the new one??

Many Thanks For Any answers Oli

Are you sure that there are 5 expansion racks ?
S7-300 and 314IFM supports max 4 racks so that is max 3 expansion racks.
Is there maybe a CP342-5 module to expand via Profibus ?

S7-300 is quite cool (luke-warm at most) compared to other older PLCs.

You cannot get an exactly the same model, since 314IFM is obsolete.
The closest match is 313C. But it is not exactly the same since 314IFM does not have the same no of integrated IO.
314IFM =20 inputs + 16 outputs + 4 analog inputs + 1 analog output.
313C =24 inputs + 16 outputs + 5 analog inputs + 2 analog output.
So you may have to rewire the integrated IO somewhat.

Reverse engineering an existing S7 program is always possible. But it may be a big job.
You should definitely try to get the source program before you upgrade it to a new PLC.