ML1100 to PV+1000

kbradray

I have been getting beat to death lately with my lack of knowledge of PV+. I have overcome most of the hurdles so far, but a new one has come up. I have seen several posts concerning this issue, but I have seen nothing to help me directly.

I have a ML1100 on an Ethernet network IP address of 192.168.0.10

I am trying to use it with a PV+1000 on the same network IP address of 192.168.0.11

After digging I discovered that you can’t browse online for the tags. I am having major communication problems with the equipment between the PV+ and ML. I say this because I have no problems downloading to the PV+ or ML via Ethernet they just will not talk to each other.

I have copied the local communication setup to the target. I have verified that both IP address show up when I browse the network in RSLinx Enterprise. I have verified the shortcut is pointing to the processor, but no luck. The processor is not talking to Studio ME or the PV+

Any help is appreciated

Ken

Do you have both of them running to a hub or are they connected to each other if they are connected to each other no hub in between you have to run a cross over cable if they are connected to a hub just use a regualer network cable.

Layout of system

I have them running through an unmanaged switch. I am using this same type switch in other areas of the plant.

My laptop static IP address is 192.168.0.5
My ML 1100 IP address is 192.168.0.10
My PV+ IP address is 192.168.0.11

I am thinking it is an RSLinx Enterprise problem because I can go online from my laptop to the ML1100 and make online edits. I can also upload and download the PV+ program throught the switch.

The problem is the ML1100 because I cannot run the display on my laptop or on the PV+.

Is it working when you try to test your application in View Studio?
If it works there it should work when down loaded.
I have 2 of them running just like you have. 1 is to a PV+1100 and 1 to a PV+ 600.

Remember that there are two definitions for every shortcut; the Local (Development) and Target (Runtime).

The browsing RSLinx Enterprise driver that you configure from withing RSView Studio is browsing the Local side only. Once you define a Shortcut pointing to the controller on the Local side, you need to use the "Copy" button to copy the driver definition and the shortcut definition to the Target side.

In RSView Studio, when you use the VCR-style "test run" button to test a single display, RSView Studio is using the shortcut definition from the Local tab.

When you click the "running man" icon to perform a Test Runtime on your development PC, the Runtime is using the shortcut definition from the Target tab.

If the Target shortcut works on your development PC, you just have to be sure that it gets applied when you download to the PV+. When you load a Runtime onto the terminal then open it from the configuration screen, remember to "Replace Terminal Communications Configuration with Application Communications Configuration". This causes the RSLinx Enterprise drivers and shortcuts to be loaded along with the RSView ME Runtime application.

My question list:

1. Does the Display Test function appear to communicate with the controller in RSView Studio ?

2. Does the Test Runtime function appear to communicate with the controller ?

3. What kind of communication-related events show up in the FactoryTalk Diagnostics window at the bottom of the RSView Studio screen when you attempt to perform a Display Test or Test Runtime function ?

Thanks

I have copied the local to target. This bit me on another application.

I can neither run it from the VCR type button nor the running man (test application).

Currently I am not on line with it so I will have to give the error message Monday. It is like the ML1100 is not online, but I can see it with both Enterprise and Gateway Classic. I have even been online via ethernet and made programming changes.

I am stumped. I am sure it is something simple that I am overlooking.

Keep the thougths coming and thanks

Ken

You say you've got your PLC in the target in your communications setup. And I assume you created a shortcut to it. You didn't say much about your tags though. In the PV+ did you import your tags from the plc file and specify the shortcut that you set up? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Tags

After about 2 hours of trying to online browse for the tags I disocvered a knowledgebase article saying that version 4 of StudioME will not browse an 1100 and of course it is corrected in version 5 which I don't have.

I have typed the tags in manually and deleted everything including my shortcut to start over and verify things were correct. I am using only 1 tag to see if I can get it to work. I am using a shortcut ::[Wash1]/B3:0/1

Wash1 is my shortcut in both local and target. The syntax may not be exact here because I don't have it up in front of me. I have a single button to toggle this bit and when I try to run in any way the button is showing an error. I am sure it is communication.

Thanks again for your responses
Ken

kbradray said:
I have typed the tags in manually and deleted everything including my shortcut to start over and verify things were correct. I am using only 1 tag to see if I can get it to work. I am using a shortcut ::[Wash1]/B3:0/1

You very well may be typing in your tag correctly and have some other problem with the 1100 that I am unaware of. I have never used a PV+ with an 1100. But with a ML1500 or SLC 5/05 here is how I do my tags. I put the plc in the target in the communications setup. I create my shortcut, then click on the plc and back to the shortcut a couple of times until apply isn't greyed out anymore. I click apply. Also in the box that says offline tag file I navigate to the plc file. Apply everything and exit.

Next, I go to the tag database. When it opens I click the 3 dots at the end of the address box that is in the data source section. When this opens, I right click on my project name and pick new hmi tag folder. I give the folder a name that I can distinguish easily. After ok-ing the new name I right click my project name again and refresh all folders. Now my new folder shows up. I click on my new folder. Then I go over to the window under "contents of (folder name)" There is nothing in this folder at this point. It has a name and descripition column but there are no tags in it at this point. I right click in this window and pick "import plc tags". When the new window opens, I type my shortcut name (it has to be exact) in the box for RS Linx Topic. Then, at the end of the PLC Database box I click browse. I navigate to my plc .rss file. Now all of the tags in that .rss file show up in the big box below. I pick the ones I want and click ok.

That window closes. I am now back to my list of tag folders. I right click on the folder that I created and select refresh folder. Now the tag(s) that I picked to import show up. They are now imported into the folder successfully. I make my way out of the tag database.

Now when I create an object instead of typing in a tag name in the connections tab, I click the 3 dots under tag, and map to the appropriate tag that I just imported and I'm good to go.

As I said at first, you may have your tag in correctly and have some other problem I am unaware of. But, I know that on my first PV+ project I had your problem. I discovered that my tags were my problem. I had tried to type them in and they didn't work. Once I learned this method for doing the tags, I have no problems and actually enjoy PV+ projects.

The syntax for direct-connect PLC/SLC address tags is like this:

{::[Wash1]B3:0/0}

The curly braces { } surround all direct-connect tags.

The double colon :: precedes shortcuts when a direct-reference tag has a PLC/SLC address which itself contains a colon.

Error message seen.

This is my error code on the application.

Device shortcut Wash1 is not usable: The device ethernet. 1763-L16AWA A/3 00 is not available, error $80070057
I am still confused because I can browse with Linx and even do programming modifications via ethernet to the processor.

When I follow the directions on the AB Knowledgebase to use linx classic to browse the online tags I can see the ML1100 then also.

I think it is an enterprise issue.

Ken

Thanks to all

Thanks for all the input.

Ken you were right again. It was my syntax. With the 1100 and the PV+ the tags must be manually typed in.

Thanks again all
Ken