A WinCC connection issue using an USB/DP Adapter.

pwmvsi

Ok, hold on tight because here comes *another* noob question.

I have a laptop, Siemens USB/DP Adapter (6ES7 972-0CB20-0XA0), a profi network (Garden variety using a single 300 CPU) and a full blown copy of WinCC. This is what I want to do:

1) Make a WinCC screen for my own EBILE uses (Muwahahaha!)
2) Compile to file for use on a laptop w/ runtime.
3) Connect the laptop to the network w/ my adapter *and* run the WinnCC screen with good ole RT and have it jive.

Is this possible? The screen I have made allow me to tune a draw works (an overgrown oilfied winch on Steriods) while sitting next to it instead of climbing two flights of stairs every two seconds.

Can someone enlighten my noob butt please if this even possible? Siemens Forums keeps nerfing my posts.

Rick

Is it really WinCC, i.e. WinCC 6.x ?
Or is it WinCC Flexible ?
Both are possible I think.

For WinCC Flexible you have to set the MPI or Profibus connection parameters manually (baudrate, station number, rack=0, slot=2).
On the target PC you have to set the S7ONLINE access point with the Set PG/PC Interface utility. Set to the USB adapter with the matching MPI and DP parameters.
Thats it.

thanks

J,
Thanks for the quick reply

I have got the device in my WinCC Flexible 2005 set to Runtime 1.1.0.0 and the follow is my configuration:

HMI Device:
Baud: 1500000
Access point: S7ONLINE
Simatic: Selected
Only Master On The Bus: Not Selected

Network:
Profile: DP
HSA: 31
Number of Masters:1

PLC device:
Address: 2
Expansion SLot: 2
Rack:0
Cyclic Operation: Selected

Now I compiled it to my laptop to get my Runtime file.

As for "Set PC/PG interface",
I am using the "PC Adapter(Auto)" with Station Parameters of '2' for adress and a time out of thirty seconds. Local Connections is set to USB with 'Apply settings to all modules' selected.

I am going to go out try it, but any other words of wizdom would be appreciated! :)

Rick

JesperMP said:
Your PLC has station number 2, so you cannot use the same number for the PC. Set it to 0 (if same as programming PC) or 3 (if another PC).

J,

I appreciate your help. I couldnt get it to work. I am using 6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0 to connect my PC to the profibus network. Like always, I could get the Step7 to connect and monitor but the runtime file would not pick up on the connection and use it. I set the node pc to adress 1 and compiles the runtime file as an adress of 1. I even got the local connection in the PG/PC config set to USB. It would be nice if it all could work. You got any ideas? Or anyone else for that matter?

Rick

10baseT. You may be on to something.
There were something with that (some ?) HMI applications require a special version of the serial PC adapter (called "HMI" adapter in stead of "PG" adapter). I dont know if this limitation is there with the USB type PC adapter. I would contact Siemens to know for sure.
Rick, if you are out of luck, then consider a CP5611 (PCI) or a CP5621 (PCI Express).

I would use the remote service package in WinCC Flexible to connect to the HMI from the laptop. No extra software needed because you can use the HMI up top from your laptop.

I did this a while back on a large machine. I just dropped a cross over cable down some 15ft to my laptop.

edit:
After rethinking this a little. The remote service requires another lic. But you could use VNC or someother remote program to take control of the RT computer. This is how I do all my remote service.

Last edited:
Hmmm...

It would have been nice to use the above mentioned PG/PC interface but you know how this goes. I wam about to leave oman and return the states and I am going to find out what it really takes to do exactly just this: Run a WinnCC/Flexible screen set on a laptop by connecting into a DP port.

Thanks for all your help everyone,

Rick