Ethernet communication controllogix

antoine

Hi all,

We are installing a brand new controllogix rack.

I have the communication up and running between processor and console through serial (DF1).

However I'd like to use ethernet instead (faster !)

There is no way Rslinx can see my Ethernet module !?

Any clue ???

Did you add the driver in RSLinx and configure it with the IP address of the PLC? Is the PC on the same subnet? Have you tried to ping the device?

Provide more info...

antoine said:
There is no way Rslinx can see my Ethernet module !?

Any clue ???

What is the IP address of the module?
What is the IP address of your computer?
How does your ethernet cable connect to your network? (plugged into a switch, or directly to the ethernet module)
What is the subnet mask of your network?

Add the Ethernet/IP driver in RSLinx (not the Ethernet driver)

Startup the BootP/DHCP server that came with RSLogix

Add the MAC address of the module to the relation list

Should show up in RSLink under the Ethernet/IP driver now

Hi Psymon, I'll try that.

Building things from the MAC adress makes sense.
Wondering if the "RSnetworx" SW had something to do with it ?

For the others, the adresses are OK, all in the same range, the hardware is OK, the link led is green.
However ping doesn't work.
I was able to access the ethernet board through the processor and set the IP adress BUT this should not be the way to do it beceause it simply cannot be done for the racks without processors !

See ya,

Antoine

antoine said:
I was able to access the ethernet board through the processor and set the IP adress BUT this should not be the way to do it beceause it simply cannot be done for the racks without processors !

See ya,

Antoine

Psymon was telling you how to set the IP without going through the processor. The BootP utility allows you to set an IP address of a bootp enabled device using the MAC ID.

You of course have to be connected to the Ethernet card before you can do this.

The reason I asked all for all the information about the IP address is because I was trying to test your knowledge on Ethernet (which you sound knowledgeable enough). Sometimes it's hard to judge how to help people without knowing their knowledge level.

Antoine, i never liked bootp, so i always set my ethernet module ( 1756-enbt) the old fashion way.
While you are connected thru df1 to the processor go to the module configuracion and set your enbt module in accordance to your needs, that means that the ip address and subnet are compatible with your computer ip address.
once your enbt is configured, then configure your rslinx in order to be able to to see your plc from the pc thru rslinx. If you want you can try to ping your enbt board even before configuring your rslinx.
Now your rslinx is configure it and your enbt is responding to your ping command.
The driver to be used with rslinx is "ethernet/ip driver" you can choose it from configure driver menu.
At this point you can see your enbt board thru two paths one is df1 and the other is ethernet/ip driver, then you can disconnect the serial cable from your computer and you´re done.
Please use a good switch like n-tron, hirschmann, cisco or alike, never use a hub.

Last edited:
It wooooooooooooooooooooooooorks !!

Thanks enerybody !

Widelto: I used DHCP software beceause some racks don't have any processors !

Hi everybody
(and particularly) Widelto,

I have a similar problem with 1756-enbt/a
It goes with a Logix5662 on the same rack
I use BOOTP/DHCP Server to assign the IP address to the module.
I can browse the Ethernet module as well as the Logix5662 using Internet Explorer.
I can use RSView to connect with the module and access all the controller tags.
However, from RSLinx (Lite 2.43.01.23 (CPR6)) I got this problem:
+ I can go online through the driver DF1 using the serial line
+ However, when I unplug the serial cable, it does not work anymore.
+ The driver AB_ETHIP runs OK
+ It can see the 1756-entb/a module, but the device type (controller) is unrecognized. I got something like this
AB_ETHIP-1, Ethernet
? 169.254.118.188, Unrecognized Device, 1756-ENBT/A
+ Therefore, in RS5000, I can't set the project path and I can't go online.

To resume, when I am in RSView, I have access to the module. This is because inside RSView, the communication is handled by RSLinx Enterprise

But in RS5000, I can't access to the module just because RSLinx sees it as "Unrecognize device".

RSLinx was automatically installed when I installed RS5000.

When I installed RSView, RSLinx Enterprise was also installed.

But I can use it only inside RSView.

Any help is very very very very appreciate!

Thanks a lot

You need a new EDS file for the firmware level of the ENBT you have. You can download the EDS file from www.ab.com. Just select the EDS for the ENBT you have and use the EDS Wizard included with RSLinx to install it. Make sure you shut down everything associated with Linx and re-open after you install the EDS.

Keith

Thank you Keith!
You're the nicest guy I've seen in my life!
I've spent almost 5 hrs struggling with all the manuals
and just 5 minutes after my post, it's solved.
Thanks again.

I'm a little curious about one idea with this if you have the MAC address could you not use the ARP command to set the IP?

Try it out!

I believe you can clear the card of it's IP address by going to the properties of the card and enabling "BootP" on the port configuration tab, then powering it down.

I only know of the ARP command, but I don't really know what it's uses are for.