RS 232 Cable not responding

The G Man

Hi All,
I have just received my software package from allen bradley, RS Logix 5000 standard edition plus my 1756CP3 cable, the problem that I am having is that the PLC does not seem to recognize that the cable is plugged in, even though it shows the controllers path when I open RS Linx. I am trying to get online with the controlller but I keep getting the error message "failed to recognize communication path, check cables and switch settings". Can someone help me please, thanks

Gavin

couple of questions is are you using a USB port if so what converter?
did you check the comport settings of said converter? If your one of the lucky few that has a comport did you look in control panel to make sue the device is working and what rs linx driver are you installing?

The G Man:

I would have to go with mordred has suggested. Check within the Control Panel->System->Hardware Tab->Device Manager. Under PORTS you should have your port listed from your computer. Make sure that this port number is the same one listed when doing your test with RSLinx.

If you are using a USB to Serial Converter, you can check to make sure that the converter is installed properly and does not have a conflict within the Device Manager. If this is good, then you can see the COMM port associated with the USB/Serial Converter.

Also, what driver as modred had asked, are you installing?

Good Luck!

Hi

I checked the comport on my laptop and it is the same as the one listed when doing my test. I am not using a USB cable, I am using a point to point straight serial i am installing a DF1 driver

I've had difficulty using RS products directly, especially when connecting for the first time. The problem is that "processor ID" nmber they use... if it has changed, regardless of the IP address, RS software will try to connect to that ID.

A way to get around it is to use the "Who" (RSLinx) function in RSLogix, and connect that way, THEN save the PLC logic with the proper numbers.

ETA: I know this is a serial device, but try the WHO function anyway.

Last edited:
The G Man said:
Hi

I checked the comport on my laptop and it is the same as the one listed when doing my test. I am not using a USB cable, I am using a point to point straight serial i am installing a DF1 driver
Why straight, not null-modem?

Another possibility is that the port on the processor your connecting to could be reconfigured What processor and channel? Are you sure its an RS 232 port?

Do you have an ethernet card on the system? You could then talk that way as opposed to a serial cable. Takes way too long with serial once you are used to ethernet. Like going from broadband back to dial-up.

The G Man said:
Hi

Do you know which type of serial cable it is? The cable that should be in use is a "null" modem cable. This allows two-way communication between both your PLC and PC. Similar to a cross-over cable for Ethernet.

Once you've got the right cable, you should be able to complete the AutoTest and then see if you can talk to your processor.