AB 5/40 1785-enet to 6200 series software

tacman

Hello,
I am attempting to use ethernet on my pc's instead of dh+ i have attached the 1785-enet sidecard and manually assigned it an ip address (192.168.1.3).
It is plugged into a hub, then plugged into a pc using dos 6.0 and AB 6200 software. I configured it for ethernet. When i goto the who active screen i get the error "tcp/ip kernel is not loaded, check tcp/ip configuration". I do not have any drivers installed in dos for the ethernet card could this be the problem?

Thanks for your help!!

Yes, the ethernet card in the computer must be properly configured and functioning to communicate through it. 6200 software is obsolete - why not upgrade to RSL5?

Well 6200 software is dated, but I'm using a pent-1 class computer with dos and little hard drive space. I have noticed one advantage, it seems like when monitoring an input or output you can see it in real-time unlike logix5. I know the trending, search and printing features are great. My company is cheep we are running on old t53's (100lb laptops) and t47's and I'm trying to upgrade them with the old junk we have. Half the time our floppy drives dont work so I installed the ethernet side card and hub, hopeing i can network them together to share documentation and not have to beg them for ktx cards. Know any good links to dos drivers for ethernet cards? o_O heh. Well thanks for your reply. and thanks for all the good info on this site!!

When running in DOS you typically have to load a driver for the hardware you need to use. Ahhh, the joy of editing the autoexec and config files, how I have missed them!! 🔨

If you know what brand of ethernet card you are using then you can probably try the vendor website. DOS drivers are getting tougher and tougher to find as the manufacturers obsolete them but every once in a while you dig in the right place and you can find them.

So try to find out what ENET card is in your PC and then post back and we'll see if we can track it down.

OG

Its a 3com 3c905-tx
fast etherlink xl pci
Yes my brain cells holding dos memory management syntax has left the building. Smoke comming out of each ear. but still i press on for the mighty weak dollar. o_O o_O

Aside from watching the bits flicker while online, I realy don't miss the DOS based stuff...

I think you would be "money ahead" to buy a cheap, but modern PC and RSLogix and bring your company into the 21st century.

They will moan at fir$t, but be grateful in no time at all. After all, how much is your time and effort worth to them? ;)

JMHOO,
Paul

Well i tryed multiple requests over the past 2 years but no luck. I finally broke them down and they purchased a refurb laptop (no ab cards or software). and i'm suppose to be thankfull for it :geek: we have 4 different pc stations that need connectivity and i'm suppose to keep the documentation the same on all of them without any way to transfer it. I feel like Fred Sanford surounded by junk. (where's my shampipple)Any way i have 4 licenses for 6200 software 1 for logix5 3 for logix5000. so again i press on!
The 3 com site had a driver for 3c90x but not sure if thats good for 3c905-tx.

"Lemonte!?!?!"

tacman said:
I feel like Fred Sanford...

roflmao

I can whistle the theme from Sanford and Son perfectly.

I learned that after having to ch*it parts for my prior employer. (Thanks, Tom Beck! Mr. Plan "B")... I used to walk into the mgrs' office and grunt and pretend to pull parts from my arse after fabricating at >24$/hour for stuff they could have bought for le$$.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only "techie" who has kept Redd Fox alive in spirit, and in tune, while "on the clock".

It is strange that they would spring for 5k licenses and neglect to get you what you really need (RSLogix5 licenses).

I am reiterating when I tell ya' that once they go to RSLogix and forklift those T-xx terminals into the "metal bin" (or onto E-Bay), they will never look back. Of course you will be required to "ed-jukate" them on the advantages of staying within a big wave of the bleeding edge of current technology.

Be a hero and demand some Winderz based Logix for the app.

Let us know how it goes...PiEaCe!

Yes i will try the drivers and let you guys know, thanks.

I made my bosses ******** on my phone sanford & son haha!!
If my company started making sense and ordered the right thing i would have to pinch myself so see if i was dreaming.

Well heres a new one I plugged in the ethernet cable to our xp home computer (ugh) with Logix 5 on it. then went into RS linx(lite version of course cause our milti-million dollar company is poor) and attempted to change the driver to ethernet and it brought up the screen to enter the ip etc. so i entered the stuff and applyed the changes and it said
error changing the configuration to the registery
. well i realized i was not logged in as the admin so i logged off came in as the admin, clicked configuration and configure drivers and nothing happens (no window)...

Ok give me a gun elizabith i'm comming to join ya honey!!

Was RSLinx installed as admin? You may try uninstalling and reinstalling it. Then be sure to give all users rights to use the software, if it asks you during the install process.

Paul

Yes rslinx was installed using the admin account.

I'm gonna try a uninstall/install and go from there

(how about a stun gun to the motherboard haha)

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

Dont know about the problems with your XP Home PC.

But for the DOS PC's with 6200 software, why dont you consider to use Win98 + Interchange + 6200 ? This was a quite well-functioning setup back in those days. It is much easier to get hardware drivers for Win98 than for DOS. And you can f.ex. open 2 instances of 6200 and watch 2 PLC5 CPU's online at the same time.

If I remember correctly, then to get TCP/IP under DOS and/or Win3.1 you had to purchase a 3rd party TCP/IP software plugin for DOS (and I dont remember from where I got it back then).

All right!! that is a very good idea. I'm getting tired of remembering dos subroutines. I'll have to look for our interchange software and try some hi end 6200 98se connectivity..

Thanks,
T

Well i installed interchange for windows ver 6.1.0
opened interchange device config and it did not show any choice for ethernet also do i install 6200 software using dos prompt i cant remember?