1785 ENET with PLC5/40 cannot change IP address

jj4parker

I've just changed the IP address for PLC 5/40 with 1785 ENET but I found somethin wrong on RSLinx classic.

Last IP is 172.26.52.1 and the new IP is 172.16.11.9

When I configure Driver with Ethernet device --> I see 172.16.11.9 for PLC 5/40 (CPU) and when I use EthernetIP driver I cannot see PLC 172.16.1.9 but I see 172.26.52.1 --> 1785 ENET card which I've tried to change from RSlogix 5 at CH3A.

WHen I checked in the program ar I/O config at CH3A I see 172.16.11.9. SO I don't know what happened?

PS: With the conflict,SOmetimes I cannot use RSlinx to connect PLC 172.16.11.9 and sometimes I can connect. If I change PLC IP back to 172.26.52.1 --> The problem like this will never happen. But unfortunately, I have to change to be the same group as the new group of PLCs.

Thanks in advance.

JJ

I've just changed the IP address for PLC 5/40 with 1785 ENET but I found somethin wrong on RSLinx classic.

Last IP is 172.26.52.1 and the new IP is 172.16.11.9

When I configure Driver with Ethernet device --> I see 172.16.11.9 for PLC 5/40 (CPU) and when I use EthernetIP driver I cannot see PLC 172.16.1.9 but I see 172.26.52.1 --> 1785 ENET card which I've tried to change from RSlogix 5 at CH3A.

WHen I checked in the program ar I/O config at CH3A I see 172.16.11.9. SO I don't know what happened?

PS: With the conflict,SOmetimes I cannot use RSlinx to connect PLC 172.16.11.9 and sometimes I can connect. If I change PLC IP back to 172.26.52.1 --> The problem like this will never happen. But unfortunately, I have to change to be the same group as the new group of PLCs.

Thanks in advance.

JJ

I don't have a working system in front of me. If memory serves, one discovers the PLC IP Automatically, and the other needs the IP Addresses entered manually. Go to the Configure Dialog Box, in RSLinx, and click the Configure Button. You should see the place to enter the IP Adresses. I think it is ETH-1, but don't quote me on that.

Hope that helps.

Stu....

With RSLInx, if you use the "Ethernet/IP Driver" it can automatically scan the subnet for slave addresses. With the "Ethernet Devices" driver, you have to match logical station address (0-63) with actual IP addresses. For programming I use the latter; I think the scanning function built into the first one can make comms a little slow sometimes.

as far as the PLC5 goes, are you completely cycling the power on the 5 to reinitiate any addredd changes to the Ethernet h/w? If memory serves, if you didn't, comms would be weird or disabled, if you didn't. Also, check all your subnet settings so that they match and are viable.

Last edited:
Is your PLC5 fitted with a battery or an EEPROM (or both), it could be that the old IP address is being reloaded when you cycle power to the PLC. You may also need to check you've got the relevant EDS files loaded in your RS Linx directory.

Thanks all for your help.

I've tried to cycling power and also take the 1785 ENET out from the chassis, but it 's not work. Any ideas please?

I've known that we can set IP by using BootP but I don't have software and how to use it.:confused:

Thanks

Thanks all for your help.

I've tried to cycling power and also take the 1785 ENET out from the chassis, but it 's not work. Any ideas please?

I've known that we can set IP by using BootP but I don't have software and how to use it.:confused:

Thanks

Can you post the full catalog number for your processor, or better yet, your program (Zip it first)? Then we can have a look at it, and see if we can point you in the right direction.

Stu.....

After setting the IP address, did you make sure that BootP is not checked?

If BootP is checked, the module will send Bootp requests on power up, and may be receiving the old address from a bootp server on your network.

1785 enet

Hello everyone.

Finally, we found the cause of this issue. The problem is the version of RSlogix is not the same. The first time we've used versiopn 7.1, but when we've changed the IP, it's done by version 6. It's new for us as well that the version of software effects such a problem.

Thank you for all kind help. :geek:

Hello everyone.

Finally, we found the cause of this issue. The problem is the version of RSlogix is not the same. The first time we've used versiopn 7.1, but when we've changed the IP, it's done by version 6. It's new for us as well that the version of software effects such a problem.

Thank you for all kind help. :geek:

Hmmm, that is strange indeed. A good lesson to keep up to date with all your RSLogix installs. Thanks for updating us.

Stu....