OT: Trade Rags (magazines)

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Of the free trade rags I've somehow mysteriously become subscribed to, there are perhaps three, maybe four that are really any good for my areas of interest, a couple that are of general interest, and a dozen more that go stright from the mail box to the trash box. Don't get me wrong, trade rags are good for staying current and there are some really excellent ones - one of my favorites regularly has articles from members of this forum. But a trade rag on the roofing material industry really isn't helpful or interesting to me. When I am offered a free rag that is outside my industry I decline, but usually it shows up in my mail box anyways.

Anyways, I just got a call from another one wanting to send me a free subscription. I asked what the rag was about and I got the following:
"[Rag Name Omitted] connects decision-makers within manufacturing enterprises to share ideas and tools that inspire action.

Its award-winning presentation of trends, news, analysis, research and peer-to-peer conversation motivates manufacturing leaders to achieve their goals." ;)
Yeah, like that is helpful in deciding if its worth getting or not. I realize that the man on the phone was just reading from a cue card but seriosly, could they be any less specific? Thats a lot of words to say absolutely nothing. I told them forget it. I'm sure it will still show up in my mail in a week or two. o_O
[/rant]

lol - I love a good rant that I can relate too. Slightly ironic, though, how deliberately vague you were regarding magazine titles, good or bad, and your industry. Think they came from trade shows or a list that keeps spreading once you make it?

Alaric said:
...but seriosly, could they be any less specific? Thats a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.

I especially hate the ones that are 11x17 format, they don't fit in my inbox or my trashcan. (You know... National Enquirer size, and the content is just about as useful.) Every time they call to renew my "subscriptions" I make it clear that I don't want their rags and that they will go right in the trash, but they don't seem to be getting the message. ;)

There should be a version of the "do not call" list for trade magazines!

We all like to do our part when it comes to conservation, but trade magazines that I have not requested or do not want don t seem to care.

Just yesterday WE where complaning about the companies that say "this is you LAST free copy please re-subscribe" I keep getting these. For the last 2 years it has been my LAST FREE copy. Sorry but if there accounting departmant can keep any better tabs on the LAST 25 FREE copies than it is not woth my time to call and get them to stop sending it.

Besides my little boy like looking at Robots and coloring on them.

The only thing that ever worked for me to get rid of them was to send them a change of address. I encourage using one of their own addresses for the change. Since all of their subscription work is done by others they don't seem to notice. Eventually most of the junk stops coming to me and I assume ends up in their mail.

I piled up a years subscriptions that I had previously asked to stop sending never did get any more from em the shipping costs were expensive but I would have loved to have seen the expresiion on their face when they recieved em back

John M said:
The only thing that ever worked for me to get rid of them was to send them a change of address. I encourage using one of their own addresses for the change. Since all of their subscription work is done by others they don't seem to notice. Eventually most of the junk stops coming to me and I assume ends up in their mail.

That's pretty good. It's kind of like when someone calls me out of the blue looking for a donation. I tell them that one of my kids groups is trying to raise money to visit the Washington monument or something and ask if they want to help. Usually shuts them right up.