Trade Rags (magazines) revisited

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Just flipped open to the first column of a control engineering-type magazine that showed up in my inbox today (name withheld). Here's how it starts:
When it comes to designing and integrating industrial machines--or any machine at all--I'm not an expert. To me, a motor is something noisy that makes a machine run. I honestly don't know how it works or what the difference is between one motor and another. All I know is that if they are working properly the machine probably will get the job done.
Seriously? These are the kind of columnists they feel are qualified to write for a trade publication? What self-respecting industry professional would continue reading after an intro like that?

I know these trade mags are geared toward management types, I guess my bigger frustration is wishing there was a magazine written for the people actually DOING the design/engineering/wiring/programming/troubleshooting of these systems. Something with a little more detail, in other words, MEAT. I might actually pay for such a publication.

One of my hobbies outside the electronics world is home repair and remodeling. I'm an amateur for sure but I try my best to do professional-level work. I enjoy reading magazines such as Fine Homebuilding and Journal of Light Construction, which provide a great level of detail about various construction tasks. Why not something like this for the PLC world?

I have a woodshop in my home - furniture making is a part time hobby, I find it to be relaxing. So I subscribe to a couple of woodworking related magazines. The general quality of the two that I subscribe to is considerably higher than the trade rags - but then they aren't offered for free, I have to pay for them. If they didn't offer useful plans, techniques, and articles then readers would not pay for them.

The paid subscription model doesn't work very well for trade rags. So articles written in the free trade rags don't bring the rag any revenue, they are an expense - necessary because without them no one would even take the free subscription. So expect the bare minimum: articles that are just enough to keep circulation numbers up enough to bring in advertisers and nothing extra.

I used to take the print versions of most rags. The early e-versions were a PITA. They've gotten better so I've switched to the e-versions. Now instead of a stack of unread mags sitting on my desk I have a stack of unread rags in my e-mail in-box.

One of our forum members has written a few articles for a particular trade rag. The most informative articles are the ones submitted by guest writers from a particular company, but they get to plug their product/skill in the article so they want to look good. That is not to say all guest authors write good articles, plenty of them write commercials. Staff authors almost never get technical.

Last edited: