Using the memory module with Micrologix 1500.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
I want to use a memory module 1764-MM1 to transport a PLC program between Micrologix 1500 PLCs (1764 LRP).
1. How do I copy the original program from the PLC to the memory module?
2. How do I copy the program from the memory module to an empty PLC?

Thank you very much!

Elcan,

You need to use the RSLogix 500 SLC programming software. On the RSLogix main menu there is a heading for "Comms".

1a. Click on "Comms", then "Upload" to retrieve a program from a PLC.

1b. Click on Comms, select "EEPROM", then select "Store to EEPROM" to store the PLC program from your PC memory to the 1764-MM1 EEPROM memory module.

2a. Click on "Comms", then "Load from EEPROM" to retrieve a program from the module and put it into your computer.

2b. Click on "Comms", then "Download" to save a program from your PC computer to a PLC.

A Micrologix 1500 PLC can also be set up to (by changing Status File bits) to automatically upload the program from the EEPROM memory module under certain conditions, such as at power-up, or after a memory error.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response, Lancie1.
However my idea is to copy the program from the memory module to the PLC without using the RSLogix 500, o even a computer.
I have to load a program in a PLC that is already with the equipment in a remote place. This PLC is empty (its memory is blank, no program has been loaded).
I was expecting that there was a way that the PLC loads the program from the memory during start up, even when no program is loaded in its memory.
Otherwise I will have to use a laptop on site or have to carry the PLC CPU module loaded with the program with me, and change the empty PLC CPU module.

However my idea is to copy the program from the memory module to the PLC without using the RSLogix 500, or even a computer.
That is a fine idea, except I don 't know of anyway to do it. To make your Micrologix 1500 load the program from the memory module, you have to set a Status bit in the Micrologix processor. To do that, you need a computer running RSLogix!

Carrying the laptop to the remote site is your best option. You may find that after the program is loaded, that other problems appear. Conditions in the field are never like what you are told or what you assume them to be. Your Micrologix may even go into fault mode after the new program is loaded. Without a laptop, you will be "dead in the water" at that point.

Last edited: