Hyperterminal data capturing

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
While trying to setup a MSG in a MLX I was just wondering if it was possible to capture the data comming and going thru the serial porton my PC? If I am using a DF1 driver hyperterminal does not want to work because something else (Linx) is using the same port.
So my question is can I use the same computer to capture the data flowing thru the serial port while monitoring the logic with RSLogix?

I was capturing a MSG after I went off line and stopped the driver. The data looked like symbols and random numbers. Any idea how to setup Hyperterminal so the data I see might make since to me?

Greetings Jeff ...

sorry ... if your computer only has ONE serial port, I don’t know of any way to make HyperTerminal “watch” the port while “something else” is communicating through it ...

Note: I have done what you’re asking for with ONE “old” computer which was blessed with TWO serial ports ... (oh, for the good old days when all computers had serial ports - and some of them had TWO) ...

I always use an extra computer to do what you’re asking for ... I get the communications between the main devices going first - and then I splice into the serial cable so that the third computer can “wire tap” into the data string - either with HyperTerminal or some other "data monitoring" program ...

going further: if you’re looking at the data involved in an MSG (Message) transaction, you’re probably ALWAYS going to see computer-talk gibberish ... the only way that we expect to see “human readable” data is when we use an ASCII transmission ... there are different flavors of ASCII - but the basic idea is based on ancient “teletype” characters from pre-computer days ... those characters usually look like “human talk” when they’re passed through the wires ...

finally ... maybe I’ve just misread what you were asking for ... post again if this doesn’t fully answer your question ...

Despite its near-universal availability, Hyperterminal is a lousy protocol analyzer.

There are a great many commercial and shareware serial intercept and analysis tools out there. I have two that I use often;

HHD Serial Analyzer

Docklight

The HHD product (even the free version) will intercept data going between your PC and the MicroLogix. Docklight is a better analyzer for tapping into communications between two other hardware devices where your PC isn't a participant.

There are many, many others, and I've used probably 10. These are the ones I keep coming back to.

When I need to do heavy-duty analysis, I break out the big guns; my Quatech 2-port PCMCIA RS-232 card and my installation of Frontline Test Equipment's FTS4Control analysis software.

My newest favorite device is made by a little company called Stratus Engineering, called the EZ-Tap. It enumerates under Windows as two COMx ports that are read-only. It's inexpensive, compact, convenient, and simple. I use it both with HHD and with the free EZView utility.

I should also mention RealTerm. It's an open-source package and has some dizzying configuration options, but is very powerful for the (donation) price.

Last edited:
Ron
Ding ding ding. The light bulb just came on. The second port. I did get the MSG to work. I will try to use the USB to serial adapter to program with then use the open serial port to monitor with.

I just want to start expanding my understanding of communications. I learned not so long ago that the "magical scan-time" has no magic to it. I now question anything that just happens or is MES (Mysterious Electrical Stuff).

Ken
Will the software help me understand what is going on? Will it change the data to something meaningful or is there anyway to do that? I like toys so the EZ Tap maybe a nice addition.

Any pointers as to good reading to help a novice understand this MES?

If the USB adapter does not work, they make cheap PCMCIA serial cards with two serial ports... just a thought

Just a thought does the PCMCIA serial card provide power on pin 9? If so could that be used for a PIC box? I have never given it much if a thought I've always had a true serial port on my PC. I am going to look at a PCMCIA card.

GIT do you sell them or can you point me in a right path for one?

JeffKiper said:
Just a thought does the PCMCIA serial card provide power on pin 9? If so could that be used for a PIC box? I have never given it much if a thought I've always had a true serial port on my PC. I am going to look at a PCMCIA card.

GIT do you sell them or can you point me in a right path for one?

No, the PIC will not work with a PCMCIA card ( see link below)
post three and on.

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=13905#

Mickey I see. It was just a thought. Thanks for saving me some headack time when I was going to try it out.

GIT
I need toys so if you could look for a dual port and I will make it worth your time! Both of my bosses (the one at home and the one at work) are letting me place an orders for toys? If you get a chance PM me or if you still have my number give me a call.