Controllogix and Wonderware

elmatador

Hi,

This is the first time I am interfacing a Controllogix PLC with the Wonderware Intouch HMI.

I will be communicating over ethernet (1756-ENBT). I have downloaded the DASABCIP server. It that all I would need to setup the communications. Or do I need to configure the OPC/DDE Settings in RSLinx as well?

You can use the DASABCIP driver directly.

Caution: review the firmware levels that your particular DASABCIP driver can communicate with.

elmatador said:
Hi,

This is the first time I am interfacing a Controllogix PLC with the Wonderware Intouch HMI.

I will be communicating over ethernet (1756-ENBT). I have downloaded the DASABCIP server. It that all I would need to setup the communications. Or do I need to configure the OPC/DDE Settings in RSLinx as well?

Used it before and works well. Rslinx is not required

Thank you for the quick response.

Another question about the device groups in the ABCIP Server Configuration? Do I need to define atleast one device group? Also, do I add tag names to the device items section?

Can the ABCIP server automatically obtain all the tags from the controllogix PLC once the communication is established?

The confusion I am having is how are the tags then available in the tag dictionary for Windowmaker, or do they then have to be manually created as an I/O Integer?

It will ask the PLC for the tagname data, you don't need to worry about that.

In WW, you configure your WW tag, then your source (PLC) tag. DASABCIP takes care of the comms.

Wonderware won't create the tags from the CLX database if that is what you are asking. You can however export/import. I've found that it is much quicker to create your Wonderware tags first. Build your HMI application and assign your tagnames appropriately (Discrete, Integer, Real). Use the checkbox that says use item name from tag name. Then, when you are finished, do a DBDump of the WW tag database into a CSV file. Go into CLX and create one type of each tag and do an export of the CLX tag database into another CSV file (this will show you the format CLX is expecting). Compare the two and cut/paste the appropriate cells from the WW CSV into the CLX CSV, import it back into CLX and you now have all your I/O tags in CLX that you defined in WW.

You can of course go the opposite direction if you feel your CLX program is more defined. It depends on the process whether it is more HMI centric or PLC. The only caveat is that WW has a limitation (I think 21 characters) on tagnames so be sure to keep your CLX tagnames less than the restriction.

As for your device groups, these correspond to the access names you create in WW. Normally, you create a device group for each interval of update that you need. If it is a smallish application, then 1 device group at 1000ms is sufficient. You don't need to fill in the tag info. Then in WW, you'll have an accessname with a topic of the same group name, and the application will be DASABCIP.

Last edited:
I had to head out to the field so I did not have access to the internet, Thank you all for your responses! I really appreciate all the suggestions!

Thanks!