Compact Logix L32E's, PowerFlex40 networking

Robot_Man

Okay, so we're new here - please break us in slowly!

We are looking at a project involving networking several Compact Logic L32's and several PoerFlex40 inverters. Plus, pulling info. from the drives and PLC's into RSView Factory Talk.

First Question - we know we have to configure the PLC's with an IP address, but typically what range and subnet mask are used or do we just 'pick a number'.

Second Question - Any other tips, as we'll be using RSLogix 5000 to configure, so can we also use RSLogix 5000 to configure the drives or is that another piece of software?

AB haven't been too forthcoming in our 'migration' from RSLogix500 and RSView32!

Thanks very much in advance!!

Very often small IP networks are built with the common "Class C Private Network" where the IP addresses are 192.168.1.xxx with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

If you plan on connecting this system to your corporate network, you may wish to use IP addresses within the corporate range. If you do this, you absolutely positively must understand the basics of IGMP management of multicast group traffic. Read up on Rockwell Automation's documentation (like the EtherNet/IP Performance and Application Guide) or make friends with your IT department.

RSLogix 5000 version 16 includes an embedded version of DriveExecutive Lite that allows you access to all that software's parameter, tuning, configuration tools over the Ethernet network.

A word to the wise regarding PowerFlex 4-series drives an EtherNet/IP; I have seen many users select these because they are less expensive than PowerFlex 7-series drives, then feign surprise when the network performance and features are lesser than the 7-series.

The PowerFlex 40's use a relatively slow RS485 Modbus RTU-based protocol that RA calls "DSI" to communicate between the 22-COMM-E module and the drive itself. It takes about 35 milliseconds after the Ethernet packet arrives for the drive to get the command over DSI and act on it, and another 35 or so milliseconds before the response gets back over DSI and out the Ethernet port. Don't waste bandwidth on the PowerFlex 40's; any RPI value faster than 35 milliseconds will just return duplicate data.

The PowerFlex 40's also support something called "multi-drive mode" in which you connect one drive to Ethernet and up to four more daisy-chain on the DSI ports. This mode is incompatible with the automatic I/O profiles for the PowerFlex 40 on Ethernet, and thus (as far as I can tell) disables the RSLogix 5000 access to the drive configuration. It also makes parameter messaging very slow and complex.

Hi Eddie,

Many thanks for the informative reply. The AB Processor Installation guide for the L32E's suggested an IP address of 130.151.217.3 with a subnet mask of 255.255.254.0. We are more used to the Class C 192.168.1.xxx subnet 255.255.255.0, so thanks for the confirmation that this is a sensible approach. This network will be initially 'standalone' with the future possibility of connection to a Corporate Network, but initially this will just be some key no-volt contacts as interface signals.

A managed network switch will connect to the local control panels from the 'coordinating' PLC and in each local panel will be an unmanaged switch to provide connectivity for the each local panel with a PLC and 4 Inverters. We won't daisy-chain the inverters.

The PC running the SCADA will also plug into the managed switch.

Having had experience of AB protocol timing delays we had anticipated poor response times however this shoulkd not affect us greatly as we will just be monitoring status information and setting running frequencies.

Are we right in assuming the RSLogix5000 is 'transparent' to the internal Inverter protocol translations or will we have to manage that somehow?

Again, many thanks in advance!

It's not the protocol that's slow; it's the actual 22-COMM-E subsystem. The PowerFlex 7-series will run circles around the 4-series in terms of network responsiveness.

That 130.151.217.x that you saw isn't really a recommendation, it's just a screenshot from inside the A-B commercial engineering lab at Mayfield Heights, Ohio.

I have encountered systems in the field with that network address; it's always a sure sign that somebody was following the user manual *to the letter* without understanding what they were doing.

When you have a 22-COMM-E in each drive (no daisy-chaining of the DSI subnetwork) then RSLogix 5000 handles the translation from EtherNet/IP to DSI transparently.

While I am a bigger fan of DeviceNet for drive networking because of its lower cost, more robust wiring and noise immunity, connecting PowerFlex to ControlLogix over EtherNet/IP is about the easiest mechanism you can find.

Hey Eddie,

Many thanks for the quick reply! We've now designated all the IP addresses and are just generating a 'pretty picture' for reference, for the Client and for the manual! Are there some reasonable graphics we can download (just for PowerPoint) of CompactLogix L32E's, PowerFlex Inverters and Ethernet Switches? You know, the ones that AB use to shoiw typical configurations. I guess we could download the typical configs. and cut from there but the resolution wouldn't be too clever.

My experiences with DeviceNet are mixed: It was great with just AB products but as soon as you tried to interface 3rd Party drives with AB Protocal Interfaces it got messy!

Is it late or early where you are??

My A-B rep fessed up that all his pretty PowerPoint graphics of controllers either come from the factory guys or from the Integrated Architecture Builder selection tool. It's a monstrous download (a full CD worth) but very handy if you put together a lot of A-B centric systems. It's saved me a few times from forgetting to add wiring arms and end caps and such.

It's a bit late here but there's a full moon peeking through the clouds and the rain has come to cool off the city. Smells nice.

Hey Eddie,

Thanks again - already downloading. I'm sure it will be a great resource.

PLC Systems have got very 'involved' nowadays and the overheads (financially and technically) to set up even a fairly simple project are quite substantial!

I grew up with Philips PC20 PLC limited to 8k memory held in 2716 EProms (16-bit wide so two 'banks' wide by 4 chips giving 8k). One of my early projects ran out of memory after the Mech. guys had to change their spec. I ended up building a daughter board to take the new 2732 EProms and used one of the PLC outputs and feedback via an input to toggle the top address bit for the upper 3 banks of two memory locations to gain us 6k extra! One of those weekend inspirations to get us out of the brown stuff. Worked a treat!!

Struggling into a typical English Summer here!