SLC5/04 and DPS2 Port Splitter

Andy Thornton

Customer has a SLC5/04 communicating with a PV600 via DH485 thru Channel-0 RS232 port. Wants to add another HMI communicating over the RS232.

Purchased a 1747-DPS2 to split the RS232 port and talk DF1 to the new HMI and keep DH485 on old HMI. The specs look like it will do this by changing Chan-0 to DF1 and connecting to Controller port (DF1), connecting new HMI to Prog port (DF1), and PV to Network port setup for DH485.

I do not have DH485 PV on test bench, so just trying to get the new HMI to talk with SLC through the DPS2. When I connect HMI directly to Chan-0 (DF1) they talk fine. Config DPS2 as DF1 and connect HMI to Prog port and SLC to Controller port, the OK light is steady, which tells me the DPS2 has completed auto-config but the HMI never gets a reply from PLC. Swap cables (SLC to Network and HMI to Controller port), and they communicate as expected. But cycle power and the OK light flashes forever, meaning that the auto-config has not completed. OK will flash until I connect SLC to Controller port, then goes steady. But it will not poll until I put the HMI on Controller port and SLC on Network port. I have nover gotten it to poll connected any other way.

What am I missing? I have tried different Network addresses (set by DIP Switches), but can only get them to talk by first plugging SLC to Controller port then moving it to Network port and then connecting HMI to Controller port.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What leads you to believe that the network port or any other port on the port-splitter can be configuered for DH485. ( see picture below)
My read is that its a DF1 device only.

PortProtocol.jpg

I believe you are quoting from the instructions for the 1747-DPS1. Page 10 of the Installation Manual for the 1747-DPS2 which comes with the device (also located at http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1747-in516_-en-p.pdf ) says:
1747-DPS2 Network Port
The Network ports on the 1747-DPS2 port splitter allow message initiation from the controller as well as ASCII write initiation to be passed through.
The Network ports also allow communication with DH-485, DF1 half-duplex, DF1 full-duplex, and DF1 radio modem networks. The communication parameters are also configurable.
The Network port is programmed as DH485 from the factory.
The Network port is configured with a software utility that you can download from
http://www.ab.com/programmablecontrol/plc/slcsystem/downloads.html.

HMMM? Right you are. My bad. I was quoting from the DPS1 manual.

I think your best solution would be the buy a new DH485 PV and some 1761-NET-AIC modules and network them all together.

OkiePC said:
Just curious why the customer would want to use CH0 when the 5/04 has DH+?

Paul

As with everything AB, it comes down to cash. The DH+ PV is $5K. The HMI we are going with (Telemechanique Magelis) is $3K with a larger screen, much easier to program, and better local support.

PROBLEM SOLVED!
Thanks for the support, folks. Turns out I had a cabling issue...

The cable that worked when directly attached to the SLC takes the DTR signal from the CH0 to CTS on the HMI. Apparently the DPS2 does not activate the DTR pin the same on its Network port, so the HMI was never getting the signal that it was OK to poll.

Looking back at my notes (the devices are installed at a customer site so I can't just unplug to verify), here is what I found:

I could use the 1747-CP3 for these connections:
DPS2 Prog/HMI port to COM1 on Computer
DPS2 Network port to COM1(RS232) on Magelis HMI
DPS2 Network port to SLC-5/03 Channel 0 (RS232)
DPS2 Controller port to COM1(RS232) on Magelis HMI
DPS2 Controller port to SLC-5/03 Channel 0 (RS232)

I used the 2711-NC13 for this connection:
DPS2 Prog/HMI port to COM1 on PV600

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you for your help on this Andy. I am having a similar issue with the DPS2 port splitter. We have a Cisco 2811 router with a serial card that can poll the PLC without any problem when connecting straight to it. When using the DPS2 the PLC and the router stop communicating. Currently, we are in the process of upgrading our SCADA system, so we need to get the DPS2 to work for parallel communication purposes.

In my original post I said I could get them to communicate by ...
... first plugging SLC to Controller port then moving it to Network port and then connecting HMI to Controller port.
Have you tried this and gotten similar results?

Looking at my post saying I had a cabling problem, I must have jumped 4-6 and/or 7-8 on both ends. Since 6 is already jumped to 1 on both ends, I'm guessing it was 7-8. Unfortunately I'm not finding that documented in my file for the job.:unsure:

Worth a shot.

Andy

I am have some problems using a 1747-dps2 splitter and perhaps you can help me.
I have a slc5/04 connected to a HMI via the com0 (rs232) and now i want to connect a pc to program the slc5/04 via com0 at the same time the hmi is connected. To do that I get a 1747-dps2 splitter so I be able to use the programmer and at the same time the hmi.

Testing this I get the following:

- with the HMI connected to the network port of the splitter and the slc connected to the controller port everything work ok (nothing connected to the prog/hmi port).

- with the PC (using rslinx) connected to the network port of the splitter and the slc connected to the controller port everything work ok (nothing connected to the prog/hmi port).

- with the PC (using rslinx) connected to the prog/hmi port of the splitter and the slc connected to the controller port I can communicate to the slc5/04 for a moment and then I lose the connection, then I see the slc5/04 again, and then lose the connection, and so on.

- with the HMI connected to the network port of the splitter, the slc connected to the controller and the programmer connected to the prog/hmi port, the communication between the hmi and the slc work ok until I try to connect to the slc using rslinx, when I do this the communication hmi-slc get lost and the communication PC-slc is get and then lose as described before.

I don't use autoconfiguration in the rslinx.
All cables are null-modem

Someone knows if this could happend when the switches of the dps2 splitter are bad configurated ???

Thanks in advance for any help.